🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Unscrupulous client, naive freelancer
Page options
9b193774
Community Member

Unscrupulous client, naive freelancer

I take it I'm naive in having done 3 days of work for someone with no contract in place and they disappeared from upwork without paying me?

8 REPLIES 8
growmyretail
Community Member

Well, that would also violate the rules from the freelancer's end. ( and client)

And yes, the chances you will see them back are slim, and even if they are, how are you going to prove anything? 

petra_r
Community Member

Matthew V C wrote:

I take it I'm naive in having done 3 days of work for someone with no contract in place and they disappeared from upwork without paying me?

Well, chances are you won't do three days woth of work for free again in future? Never start working until a contract is in place

Pieter B wrote:

Well, that would also violate the rules from the freelancer's end. 

No, it does not.

Clients are not allowed to ask for free work. No rule other than common sense forbids a freelancer doing so.

Oh right,

you're correct. Acting in good faith is just an invitation to get screwed over especially when you have zero history with a client.

Good faith, that's the phrase Pieter. It's not naive to act in good faith, it's honourable. But it can be dispiriting to work for dishonourable people.

9b193774
Community Member

Petra, you have such a warm and sympathetic manner, it amazes me!

petra_r
Community Member

Matthew V C wrote:

Petra, you have such a warm and sympathetic manner, it amazes me!

Sugarcoating is an optional extra 😉

That said: Whatever you did for that client is still your property because you were not paid, so if it is something that might be published somewhere, you could get sweet revege (or payment).

9b193774
Community Member

Thank you, that was useful to point out. It was a musical composition, so if it ever appears somewhere in the client's name and I find out I will have legal ownership of it. I'll put this stupid mistake of mine down to experience. Rant over!

petra_r
Community Member

Matthew V C wrote:

Thank you, that was useful to point out. It was a musical composition, so if it ever appears somewhere in the client's name and I find out I will have legal ownership of it. 

Are there musical search engines? Like reverse searches for images to check for plagiaized pictures or copyscape for writing? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths