cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited invitation to interview

suzanne_peterson
Suzanne P Member Since: Apr 18, 2014
1 of 4
Hey all. I am brand new to this site, so please forgive a newbie question. I received an invitation to interview for a job, was very excited, then realized I hadn't applied to it. Looking over the message and Googling the "company" name leads me to be pretty certain this is a scam. But for my future reference, do legitimate employers ever extend invites without receiving applications? Or should I assume that anyone who reaches out to me without any kind of contact on my end is a scammer? Has anyone gotten a successful gig this way?
mandylula
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
2 of 4
It is common practice Suzanne. Clients have an option to search for freelancers they think may be suitable for their projects. However, checking the company out on the web is always a good idea.
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
3 of 4
[quote=Suzanne Peterson]Has anyone gotten a successful gig this way?[/quote] Actually, it is a major way to get successful jobs. Scammers often do target newbies in a number of different ways, so it is always good to be cautious. Once a freelancer is established, projects awarded as the result of invitations are some of the best ones and they generally work out well for both freelancer and client.
jeanalfonso
Jean A Member Since: Nov 3, 2013
4 of 4
If clients think you suit what they are looking for, they can invite you for an interview. It's always best to read reviews other freelancers have given them.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS