Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure If Scam

lea_ciara
Lea Ciara M Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
1 of 21

Hi Upwork Admin,

I am new here and I just had my first "chat-interview" with a client. It happened literally today and the client asked me a series of super easy questions via google hangout chat and then he said: " Congratulations..due to your level of experience and your working skills the company has decided to hire you as one of our staff.You are now a staff of REWE Group. and we hope to see the best in you.You will receive your duties everyday via email and i will be online to assist you with any difficulties. We are starting you with $20 per hour,You will receive your pay bi weekly friday of the week via wire transfer,Direct deposit or check,Depending on which you prefer.What payment option do you prefer?" Furthermore, he guaranteed some benefits also: "You will be enrolled for this benefits after a period of 3 months of working with us.We are going to be communicating through Google-hangouts chat (IM) till after 7days of working with us, a user and pass will be given to you including an up link to the company server. Also after then list of contact phone numbers to various departments will be sent to you including all necessary forms to fill out."

He also promised me to send out a check or direct deposit to buy the software needed for me to perform the task. 

Please let me know if this is a legit project or a scam.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 21

Scam most likely.  You HAVE to receive all payments through Upwork and according to the TOS.  Please review it for your own safety.  Your account could be suspended for receiving any monies outside of the Upwork framework.

The check will not be a good check.  Report this guy and move on.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 21

100% scam.

0% chance of being genuine.

halpin-pavanne
Pavanne H Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
4 of 21

Where do I report a company for being a scam. I responded to an interview and was accepted. Pretty much word for word in the acceptance email as the lady who posted the question. It was for **Edited** I started training and they sent me a check. I started to follow their directions and went to deposit the check. They then asked me to withdraw the money right away. I started to get a bad feeling, not just because I realized that the money wasn't going through UPWORK, but also when I started to ask questions about it they told me I wasn't supposed to ask any questions or discuss this. The bank is investigating them for fraud and I wanted to report them to UPWORK. I was so excited about getting work that I just didn't think about the funds not going through UPWORK and I should have. What do I do now? I don't want to be suspended because of a stupid mistake?

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
lenaellis
Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
6 of 21

You can report a job by flagging it on the job description page, shown below:

flagging.png

You can also report a client if they mention paying off platform in Messages by clicking on the gear icon next to the message and selecting "report abuse".

messages report abuse.png

Untitled
dianerose501
Diane R Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
7 of 21

Like the original poster on this topic, I am also new.  I had an invitation to apply for a job and the job poster is also very new.  I applied and was then asked to email him for more details about the job.  I did this and when I received the reply, he was offering to pay "off platform" - wondering if he's just new and doesn't know better?  Should I mention it to him or ??  Here's what he said exactly:

"I will pay you a minimum of $500.00 every two weeks, depending on your performance you could earn up to $800.00. Salary will be paid via Pay Pal, Checks, Wire Transfer, Bank and etc. You will be paid every two weeks."

lenaellis
Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
8 of 21

Hi DIane,

Not knowing the circumstances of this job or client I can't speculate, but yes you can inform the client of our TOS and that paying of platform is prohibited. If this was asked in Messages you can also report the message by clicking on the gear icon to the right of the message.

-Lena

Untitled
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
9 of 21

Scam: ask you to receive payment off platform.

Scam: ask you to purchase/download software.

Scam: "interview" with really easy questions and then instantly saying you're an employee. 

Report him and run. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 21

re: "I don't want to be suspended because of a stupid mistake"

Upwork has every right to suspend the account of a freelancer who does what you did. Accepting payment outside of Upwork is a violation of one of Upwork's three most sacred rules.

BUT, in practice, Upwork usually does not suspend newbies who fall for the fake check scam.

Upwork is usually forgiving and understanding about this.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS