Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure If Scam

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 21

As for reporting:

I don't really believe that a serious system is in place for reporting scams and fraudulent or predatory client behavior.

Upwork representatives have said in the past that they are working on such a system. I am glad that they have this as a goal. But it is disappointing that no such system exists.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
12 of 21

re: "You can report a job by flagging it on the job description page, shown below: Flag as inappropriate"

Lena:

Thank you for posting information and screenshots showing Upwork's current reporting tools.

I think that these are a good start, and they're vast improvements over what was available before.

But the "Flag as inappropriate" button DOES NOT LET users submit files or screenshots or anything.

So the problem we are seeing is that many job postings now are completely innocent-looking. The job posting itself has no red flags. There is nothing to see amiss about it.

Until contractors apply to the job, and then the client does something inappropriate, like asks them accept a check for "office equipment" during a Skype interview.

It doesn't matter what options a contractor selects if they flag the job as inappropriate. There is no way for anybody who receives that "flag" to know what happened. They'll see a flag that the job was a fraud, but when they look at the job, it looks fine.

lenaellis
Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
13 of 21

Hi Preston,

You're absolutely right there are limitations to the current reporting tools and we are working on new processes to proactively remove these jobs, as well as better tools to reactively report them.

-Lena

Untitled
halpin-pavanne
Pavanne H Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
14 of 21

Hello Preston,

I know they have the right to suspend me. I just hope they don't. So many of us that fall for this are just so happy to get something that it doesn't occur to you right away that something is wrong. They were advertising on UPWORK and invited me to interview ON UPWORK, so it comes to mind that they are working through UPWORK. It wasn't until I got the check that it really hit home that they weren't using UPWORK to log hours and pay and something was probably wrong. I went through their steps naively believing that it would all work out and they would be tracking work hours through UPWORK. DUH!! "Smacks forehead". And that is why these scams succeed. They prey on the desperation of people to find work. I consider myself very fortunate in that I started to question what was going on and with support from my bank reported them.

Thank you for responding.

Pavanne 

alythiab
Alythia B Member Since: Jun 20, 2016
15 of 21

I had this same thing happen! The lady said via message: 

"Well the company has decided to give you a chance for you to work for the company.We will like to see your diligence,Charisma,Commitement to this job. Congratulations"

Like it had been some kind of stock acceptence letter written by someone who barely speaks English (and probably sent to the other 9 interviewing candidates). THEN she asked me to send all of my personal information (address, email, cell/home numbers, etc) because she was going to send me printers and a laptop to do the job. Nope!

When I looked into the company for a similar job posting as the one here, there was nothing (usually, they'll also post on their sites if they're hiring). And the person who supposedly hired me was the executive vice president. Why would the executive vp go digging through Upwork to hire people? I'm thinking these scammers are taking real companies and creating profiles with names of real people. *Reported*

kieltt01
Tracie K Member Since: Oct 20, 2016
16 of 21

Scam,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**. This company Chat via Google Handouts, and as stated by Lea ask questions and than hires based on experience. then welcomes you and ask for a form of payment, wire, direct deposit or check. Then they conttinue with the "interview briefing," and when questioned about payment through Upwork answered the payment would be made by **Edited for Community Guidelines** for two weeks then through Upwork.

They offer the following statements-

"You will be enrolled for this benefits after a period of 3 months of working with us.We are going to be communicating through Google-hangouts chat (IM) till after 7days of working with us, a user and pass will be given to you including an up link to the company server. Also after then list of contact phone numbers to various departments will be sent to you including all necessary forms to fill out. "

And also this-

"Before you start work you will receive a payment(Check) ,you will be using this payment (check) to set up your mini office by purchasing some office equipment and accounting software, immediately you get this payment you start work fully. "

If I have access to their server I would not purchase software. Again they said they would pay me. Non of this makes sense per my professional background in HR.

Also the names used **Edited for Community Guidelines**, did not come up on an social media site or LinkedIn. Also, there was not any information about the **Edited for Community Guidelines** opening up in the United States. I researched thoroughly and asked them but did not get a reply just a link to **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Beware.

And interestinly probably to make me feel a sense of comradre, My name is Tracie, the spelling is not common and the interviewer was Tracie Backford.

Good Luck.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
17 of 21

re: "This company Chat via Google Handouts..."

It's a scam.

They're wasting your time. They're trying to steal your money. Stop talking to them.

Don't talk to anybody who sends you an invitation to interview using Google Hangouts.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
18 of 21

re: "Also the names... did not come up on an social media site or LinkedIn. Also, there was not any information about the [company name] opening up in the United States. I researched thoroughly..."

Don't do that. Don't thoroughly research stuff like that.

Scammers just copy names from the Internet, and often provide you with valid names. Googling or searching for these names is a waste of your time, and it's one of the main tricks the scammers use to fool newbies.

If a client offers you a valid Upwork contract to do real work on Upwork, then go for it. It doesn't matter what their name is, and it doesn't matter if you can Google them or not. I earn a lot of money working for clients and companies who you can't Google.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 21

Hi Tracie,

As Preston pointed out, it's a known scam and you'll see that the job has already been removed as inappropriate and the proposal was archived. Please, check out this post to learn more about warning signs and avoid questionable jobs in the future.

~ Valeria
Upwork
deleonpa
Pelin D Member Since: Jul 1, 2017
20 of 21

I have experienced the same thing today. First of all, it was not a two way interview. He told me to say okay and then I will have question time. However, question time was not given to me. I told the person "before I send my information to the email account he provided me, I want more details on their opeartions and detail of work". He just repeated himself and did not provide me details. Then I asked, "since this is a Germany based company, how and why you are going to get an office in the USA?". He told me that they already have an office in the USA. I told him that I checked the website and did not see that. He told me, he will come back to me on this. He send me the website but still there was no USA office. So, he lied to me on this.

Next, I asked him why are you not working through upwork since you are trying to hire through them. He told me everything will be directed in two weeks through upwork and asked me if I am still okay. Here at this moment. I rejected him. I told him he does not provide me trust and I can not tell if this is scam or not. They are not professional in my opinion. My suggestion is do not be afraid of asking questions.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS