cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unverified Payment Account Clients

morita
Morita B Member Since: Apr 29, 2014
1 of 36
Hi, As a new odesker, I applied to clients with unverified accounts and also to clients with verified accounts. I received replies from clients with unverified account but none of those with verified accounts. But all of those clients with unverified account that responded to my application seems phishing. They all requested me to start the project right away without a contract and I don't know if they're going to pay my service. Once, it was my first experience, I started the project as the client with unverified account requested me to do, and then I downloaded the time tracker but when I check on "my job", nothing appears there and then I checked the my "job applications" it was still there and it appears "active candidacies". I don't know the whole process here in odesk but I am convinced that time that I was scummed. And as of now I accidentally applied to one of the clients with unverified account; I don't know why they are at the top of my job feeds, and he responded. He wants me to start the project right away but I requested him to complete his account and make a contract through odesk. My concern is, why odesk let clients with unverified accounts post their jobs and let the post of the clients with verified accounts be pushed down to the bottom of the job feeds? How shall I deal to the clients with unverified accounts regarding to the situation I am facing as I stated above? Many thanks, Morita
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 36
Morita, If a client has an unverified account, it doesn't always mean that they are scammers, phishing. Some clients are new and have the intention of hiring freelancers, but the verification process takes a while. Also, sometimes the client's account is marked 'unverified' if they need to update their payment method. The rule is, if they don't have a verified account, then don't start working until they do. You can still apply for the job (as you have done), but ask them when the verification will be completed. If they want you to work before their account has been verified and without a contract, then walk away from the job. If you have an active candidacy with the client, then you are still at the interview stage. Once they officially hire you, it will show under 'my jobs'
esala23fndo
Esala S Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
3 of 36

verified account then we can do the project without any problem

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 36

Agreeing with Esala and Gillian.

I have earned a lot of money working for clients whose were unverified when I applied to their jobs.

But I didn't actually do any work for them until they verified their funding.

Had a few clients who took a couple weeks to get verified.

That's okay. I can wait.

esala23fndo
Esala S Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
5 of 36

will they do it or refused it. can we also request for a upfront payment

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 36

re: "Can we also request for a upfront payment?"

With fixed-price contracts (not hourly contracts) you can request an upfront payment.

Personally I don't have any interest in upfront payments.

An upfront payment means I've already been paid and I owe the client something.

I prefer to do a project, and then they owe me the payment for it.

And I prefer NOT having an upfront payment over my head if something comes up and I'm delayed in delivering the project. Worst case scenario: something horrible happens and I can't finish the project, and they receive nothing but they have also paid me nothing.

Now, that doesn't mean it's okay to be late or not finish a project. I just don't like that possibility...

For SOME CONTRACTORS, yes, you should probably receive upfront payments. But none of my clients would ever want to rip me off by not paying me for my work. Because they know if they did that then I would not want to work for them again.

sritykhan284
Mustofa M Member Since: Oct 6, 2016
7 of 36

Dear Gillian, 

Recently I have hire a fixed price job. But Client payment method not varified. Can I start work. Please see the below screenshot of the Mile stone after accepted the hire. Thanks. 

Capture-10.JPG

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
8 of 36

Mustopha, in the example you show... Since it is a fixed rate contract you should not work until the client funds the milestone. When that happens, the client paid but you do not get the money until you submit the work and the client has a chance to approve it or request changes. In your screenshot, it does not look like the milestone/escrow is funded. Usually, it says (funded) where your example says (unverified). I would open a help desk ticket and ask support. I had a client with an unverified payment method who would fund milestones. I worked with her twice with no issues, but I don't remember what it looked like in the contracts view. I would check with customer service/support before submitting the work. Something looks strange about that one.

sritykhan284
Mustofa M Member Since: Oct 6, 2016
9 of 36

Dear Samantha,

Thanks for your kind reply and feedback. My Client ensure me that he will verify before I submit the job. 

Regards

Mustofa 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 36

Hi Mustofa,

Please, communicate with the client and make sure they verify their payment method before you start working on the assignment. Note that the funds can't be released from Escrow if the client's payment method is not verified.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS