Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unverified Payment Account Clients

sritykhan284
Mustofa M Member Since: Oct 6, 2016
11 of 36

Dear Valeria,

Thansk for your kind feedback. My Clinet told me that, He will verify soon before I submit the job. Thanks. 

Mustofa 

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
12 of 36

My second job here was with a new(ish) client that was in the process of rehiring a freelancer for a job that the original freelancer did a runner on. After I was hired, the client kindly asked me if I could wait for them to get a refund on the escrow payment that had gone to the original freelancer before we sign the contract. I said that was fine. As they were in a rush, they did, however, ask me to still start the work right away - the reason I agreed to this was that the client themselves said that of course they do not expect me to submit any actual work to them until the contract has been created. So that's how we proceeded, and everything turned out great - this client became my first repeat customer. Woman Very Happy

However, on another freelancing website I used to use, I had a client that hired me for a rush translation of 2800 words. He first asked me to translate the text in 10 hours - I said to him that was not possible, as the text was rather dificult and I would have to check the proper translations for certain institutions named in the text. Then he wanted the text in 20 hours. As I was hurting for cash (and still very new to both that site and freelancing in general), I agreed, but did push him to start the actual contract before I started translating. He did. It was an hourly job so there was no escrow payment, I just started logging in the hours. I completed the translation without a hitch and logged the hours in using the said website's time tracker software. When the deadline came, the client was not even online. I knew something was fishy, but I did not want to give the client the option of saying that I had not met the deadline. So I uploaded the file and billed my hours.

Safe to say, I never got paid for that job.

So I would say that in a situation where the client wants you to start immediately, consider what reasons they have for this. Are the reasons valid? If they are, you could entertain the idea, provided that you do not have to send in any work before your payment is secured. But if the client wants the fruits of your labour before they have set aside the money to pay for them... Don't do it. 

esala23fndo
Esala S Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
13 of 36

if we ask them (unverified client) to verified there payment method before job starts will they veify it or kick me out of there project,

please give me a immediate answer

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 36

Hi Esala,

I suggest you do ask your potential client to verify their payment method before you start working on the project. If it's an hourly contract, you will be covered by the Upwork Hourly Protection only if the client's payment method is verified. If it's a fixed-price job, make sure the client funds Escrow before you start working on the assignment.

Best of luck.

~ Valeria
Upwork
esala23fndo
15 of 36

so if it was a client who's payment method  was unverified  and it's an hourly project  so then we can ask him to verify it or just ignore the project.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
16 of 36

Hi Esala,

Yes, that is correct.

Untitled
esala23fndo
17 of 36

that mean if we ask them to verify it they will surely do it, why cant we start the work with unverified clients were they cheeters or not paying after work

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
18 of 36

Asking them to verify helps you to separate the good ones from the bad ones. If they continue to find excuses or keep telling you they will verify, but want you to start anyway, that's a good indication that they are not serious.

If it's fixed price, ask them to verify and fund the according milestone(s), if it is hourly, tell them in a nice way that you will accept the contract and start working as soon as their payment is verified. Don`t even accept a contract yet, let alone do any work beforehand.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
19 of 36
I have had to wait before starting work. I just told the client the truth: there can be problems with Upwork if a contractor starts work before the client is payment-verified. I blame Upwork, not the client, so it doesn't come across like I don't trust them.
esala23fndo
20 of 36

how to ask client to assept the payment method without making them feel we are untrusting  them. immediate feed back 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS