Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unverified Payment Account Clients

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
21 of 36

re: "how to ask client to assept the payment method without making them feel we are untrusting  them"

Here's how:

John, I'm excited about working on this project. Thank you for your interest in working with me on this.

You sent the hire button and now I can see that we have an official contract within the Upwork interface. I'll be able to get started after I see your client's payment method show up as "verified" in the Upwork interface.

Upwork has some strange automated things it does that can sometimes cause problems for contractors as well as clients if we start work for clients before we see the payment verified indicator. So we don't want to risk that.

Just let me know when that's ready and I'll get started on the work.

esala23fndo
Esala S Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
22 of 36

when i see the active candancy message after he was not online how can i ask him to verify

or can we leave the message and stay for his respond.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
23 of 36
If you have an active candidacy them it means you ARE NOT HIRED yet. Don't start the job.

Don't spend a lot of time interviewing with him. He has your profile he can look at. He has your job application. If he starts asking a lot of questions, just explain that those are the kinds of details you will be happy to discuss after he has hired you, but for you to go into that much detail right now would be against Upwork's rules preventing contractors from doing free work. Blame Upwork.

So, yeah.... If you have not been hired yet, it doesn't matter if the client is payment verified because he isn't paying you.

If you don't want to apply to a client who isn't payment verified, then don't apply. If you get hired, make sure he is payment verified before starting work. If you want to mention this once during the interview process, I guess that is okay. But I don't see any reason to make a big deal about it.

If he is not payment verified and he is asking a lot of questions during the "interview" process, then maybe is just trying to get a free consultation. Don't spend too much time. He needs to hire you using an hourly contract, get payment verified, and then he can ask all the questions he wants to. You will bill him for his time. Don't let him waste your time.
esala23fndo
Esala S Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
24 of 36

if we selected by the client for a job how can we know it and can we ask him to verify there payment method while i'm in active candidancy

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
25 of 36

The client sends you a contract and you can then choose to accept it.

Esala, I am sorry, but there are tons of information about all this on Upwork and the forums. If you are new to online freelancing, you do need to spend some time reading all this information that is already available. I think a lot of your questions can be answered that way.

People have already provided answers to several of your questions. A thanks every now and then would be nice...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
26 of 36
Heh... Sandra has provided you with some good stern advice, Esala.

The truth of the matter is that when somebody with so little understanding of Upwork starts working on the platform, they often fall prey to scammers who take advantage of them. You really should take a few more months reading the forums and help section info before applying to jobs.
battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
27 of 36

You shouldn't refer to clients as him all the time. It is very sexist to assume they will all be male. Cat Mad

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
28 of 36

How do you do that in English, by using plural and they?

It's an international platform with people with different English skills. Since many languages have genders for their nouns and the male version is used for the general version, I wouldn't perceive this as sexist.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
29 of 36
Sorry, Ramon. My native language is Klingon, and when I use google translate to render English translations of my posts, pronouns for clients always seem to come out masculine. I'll try to change it up more often by translating some posts to Amazonian and then back to English.
battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
30 of 36

Gendered pronouns merely reinforce polarised sexual stratification and bolster the iniquitous, inherently misogynistic, patriarchal structure. Cat MadWoman MadCat MadWoman MadCat Mad

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS