cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unverified Payment = Fake Jobs?

Andrew M Member Since: Oct 15, 2016
1 of 12

Why is it possible for an employer to list a job with an unverified payment? I've seen tonnes of jobs on here with ludicrous budgets like 50k+  and over 50 proposals but their payments aren't verified. How do freelancers know that these "employers" aren't just trying to get possible app ideas or info on users where they can proceed to contact them outside of upwork?

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 12

They can't do that if we all use our brains when writing bids and not give away free work or offer up tons of ideas during an interview.

I've gotten many projects from (new) clients who weren't yet verified. You just don't start any work until they are and they've hired you.

And by they way, they are not our employers, they're our clients.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 12

I just sold a great contract with a new client with no verified payment. I've done that lots of times. Learn to spot them and they won't bother you.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 12

It's not as linear as the brain wants to coerce you into thinking (or you allow).

I've had many successful contracts with clients who had no verified payment when I started with them. 

Conversely, I've had a TERRIBLE contract (I learned quickly from that one) with a client who had a long LIST of five-star ratings (and on further research of their prior hires, there's definitive reason as to this five-star "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" exchange) and verified payment. 

The Devil is in the details. 

As has been previously stated, don't start work until you're offered a contract, accepted the contract, and the milestone(s) is/are fully funded (this is for fixed rate contracts, hourly is slightly different). 

Community Guru
5 of 12

@Kat C wrote:

It's not as linear as the brain wants to coerce you into thinking (or you allow).

I've had many successful contracts with clients who had no verified payment when I started with them. 

Conversely, I've had a TERRIBLE contract (I learned quickly from that one) with a client who had a long LIST of five-star ratings (and on further research of their prior hires, there's definitive reason as to this five-star "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" exchange) and verified payment. 

The Devil is in the details. 

As has been previously stated, don't start work until you're offered a contract, accepted the contract, and the milestone(s) is/are fully funded (this is for fixed rate contracts, hourly is slightly different). 

My one bait and switch at the beginning of the year was a guy with good ratings. There was ONE note from a freelancer who used to post here that didn't look terrible but was off. And then, after I worked with him, I was able to read between her lines. LOL 

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
6 of 12

@Andrew M wrote:

How do freelancers know that these "employers" aren't just trying to get possible app ideas or info on users where they can proceed to contact them outside of upwork?

But how do you know the clients with verified payments arent doing that as well? But still... there's nothing wrong with applying for a job where the client has an unverified payment source... just don't start any work until it does become a verified payment source. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Rasheen W Member Since: Jul 19, 2018
7 of 12

It would be nice that if you apply for a paymen unverified job, that if the client doesn't eventually select someone or doesn't respond to any potential freelancers that their profile is flagged and the credits are refunded. 

Community Guru
8 of 12

Rasheen W wrote:

It would be nice that if you apply for a paymen unverified job, that if the client doesn't eventually select someone or doesn't respond to any potential freelancers that their profile is flagged and the credits are refunded. 

Nevah gonna happen. They want fewer bids flooding clients, not more.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
9 of 12

Just include in your proposal something along the lines of, "I can start work on your project as soon as Upwork confirms your payment method." 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 12

re: "Just include in your proposal something along the lines of, 'I can start work on your project as soon as Upwork confirms your payment method.'"

I don't know....

When I send a proposal, the point is to demonstrate that I'm available to work on their job and that I'm the obvious choice to hire.

If a client hires me, they are going to need to be payment-verified before I do any work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS