cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwarranted Negative Review From Client

vanessaronnie
Active

Good evening!  I am new to Upwork -- only been on here since January and have worked from one client. I was asked to leave feedback for them -- which I did -- and after doing so, was able to see the feeback they left for me. I could have said some very negative things, but I just want to move on and find other work. That being said, I was shocked to see that the client themselves left negative feedback for me, which I fear now will impact my ability to get other assignments. I've looked at the client's feedback history and there were quite a bit of negatives, all things I could attest to, but I didn't see the point in leaving anything negative. I did my job, which in turn, caused the client to let me  go. So, in the event that something like this happens, are freelancers able to dispute the feedback, hide it, delete it, something? I was let go for following industry best practices, which the client felt was illogical. I still cannot wrap my head around it. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
booksist
Community Guru

Hi Vanessa,

We’ve all been through this one way or another – some clients are so hard to work with, and their impact on our success score is not so great. The good thing is this would probably never happen to you again. As Petra pointed out – the time to check a client’s reviews is before accepting the job.

On the other hand, I don’t think you’ve mistaken that badly. I am sure that most freelancers would embrace the opportunity to work for anyone who actually does spend thousands of dollars on the platform, especially if they are new.

In addition to what others have said, I’d suggest you work with a couple of clients simultaneously, at least two, and up to… I don’t know; it depends on the scope and dynamics of each individual job. In my case, the ideal number of jobs in progress is 3. That is not hard to manage – I’d recommend spending approximately 10hrs/week on each contract.

Unfortunately, this will affect your JSS one day. No one can tell how bad it would be, but it certainly won’t be catastrophic. Based on my observations, personal experience, and the impeccable intuition of a Pisces, it could be 83%. 😉

Another issue here is the impression this *moderately* negative feedback would make on prospective clients. Honestly, if I were a client looking to hire you, I wouldn’t mind this feedback, because you’ve worked with them for months and they have spent more than a few bucks on you.

If there were issues with the quality of your performance, why did they wait so long? It doesn’t make sense. The feedback tells more about them than about the quality of your work, and this is more than obvious.

Also, your work history shows that you were devoted to this job, instead of trying to find more jobs to build a great profile.

The moments like this are what defines you as a freelancer. Do your best to cope with it, persist, and you’ll be great.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
melaniemaghanoy
Community Guru

Hi Vanessa,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you had with your client. Unfortunately it's not possible to dispute feedback on Upwork. Check out this post as well as this link to learn more about the options you have if you are unhappy with the feedback your client gives you.

Is that correct that if you refund the client, the review is removed? 

@Robin B wrote:

It's removed from your profile, indeed. The private evaluation left by the client, however, remains as a part of your JSS.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Hello Robin,

I apologize for sharing incorrect information and the confusion it caused.

"Edited: issuing a full refund will remove a contract from Work History"

Give a Refund

Untitled

@Ryan C wrote:

No. Feedbacks remain even when you give refund to the clients.

Are you sure about this Ryan?

-----------

Hello Rene,

My apologies for the confusion

"Edited: issuing a full refund will remove a contract from Work History"

Untitled
tlbp
Community Guru

Ryan, 

In the past, a full refund removed the public feedback from one's profile. The effect of the feedback on one's JSS remained, but the feedback was not visible on the profile as the job effectively vanished once a refund was issued. Could you please clarify your statement in this thread, which appears to contradict past experiences. 

@Ryan C wrote:

Hello Rene,

Yes. 

This is a recent change, can you give us the date when this entered in force?

-----------

@Robin B wrote:

I take it that they wanted you to submit a w9? I had that happen once and got lucky that they dropped it. A lot of companies do background check for contractors. That's too bad. Did you try to tell them that Upwork does a background check? It's kinda a lie lol but maybe will get you out of it. It's only a little half lie cuz they do verify your location and do a quick check of the profile. Not a full background check but you could categorize it as one if you want to stretch the truth. lol

yitwail
Community Guru

Vanessa, sorry to hear about the negative feedback, but I doubt there's anything you can do about it. Only top rated freelancers have the option of removing a feedback. While it is true you could ask the client to change the feedback, the client is under no obligation to do so, and could give you worse feedback than the original. Also, I hate to give you more bad news but you're probably going to lose the rising talent badge. The one positive is that when it comes to computing Job Success, all jobs are counted equally regardless of the amount earned per job, as I understand it. Thus, several positive results will overcome one negative, so better luck next time.

The one positive is that when it comes to computing Job Success, all jobs are counted equally regardless of the amount earned per job, as I understand it.

In a terse response to an embattled freelancer, Petra R. recently pontificated:

'The JSS is not dollar value weighed". You seem to be echoing the same opinion.

But I have a simple question though. Did Upwork somehow leak the secret recipe to you?

Seriously?

You want my opinion? The JSS is dollar-value weighed.

This is especially true when you fail to satisfy a client. I really won't classify my rant as conjecture.

From my personal experience the JSS would fall more if you fail to satisfy a client for a $100 gig than it would for a $5 gig.

Counteract me if you may, Je suis prêt.

@Antonio W wrote:

The one positive is that when it comes to computing Job Success, all jobs are counted equally regardless of the amount earned per job, as I understand it.

In a terse response to an embattled freelancer, Petra R. recently pontificated:

'The JSS is not dollar value weighed". You seem to be echoing the same opinion.

But I have a simple question though. Did Upwork somehow leak the secret recipe to you?

No, we simply read for comprehension, rather than making up nonsense as we go along or parrot alternative facts made up by others.

Upwork have confirmed, in no uncertain terms, time and time again, that refunds do not have an additional effect on the JSS, and that JSS is not Dollar value weighed.

There are things one may have an opinion on. Confirmed facts are not among those.

petra_r
Community Guru

@Vanessa P wrote:

I've looked at the client's feedback history and there were quite a bit of negatives,

The time to look at a client's feedback history is before applying to a job posting, not after accepting a contract.

@Vanessa P wrote:

So, in the event that something like this happens, are freelancers able to dispute the feedback, hide it, delete it, something?

Theoretically you could make it go away by issuing a full refund, which would mean the contract will vanish from your profile.

There is nothing in that feedback that would make it disputable.

Theoretically you could make it go away by issuing a full refund, which would mean the contract will vabish from your profile.

It could prove to be a bad idea for Vanessa to issue a full refund just because she wants to remove a feedback.

First, she'd be sending a message to the client and many others: "Just leave negative reviews, and you'll keep getting free work on Upwork." Refunding would simply be vindicating the client.

True, the negative feedback will affect her JSS when she gets one, as John K. implied.

But refunding will bring it 2 times lower, cos Upwork severely penalises freelancers for issuing full refunds (isn't it a truism that refunds are bad for Upwork's business? "You've used Upwork's site, set up a contract, set up Escrow, etc. and you mean $0 earnings for that?", asks an annoyed Upwork. "Do you think we're here to play, maam?")

@Antonio W wrote:

Theoretically you could make it go away by issuing a full refund, which would mean the contract will vabish from your profile.

1) It could prove to be a bad idea for Vanessa to issue a full refund just because she wants to remove a feedback.

First, she'd be sending a message to the client and many others: "Just leave negative reviews, and you'll keep getting free work on Upwork." Refunding would simply be vindicating the client.

2) But refunding will bring it 2 times lower, cos Upwork severely penalises freelancers for issuing full refunds

1) I totally agree, which is why I said "Theoretically" she could issue a full refund. Apart from the valid reasons you have mentioned, it is also a hell of a lot of money in most peoples' books.

2) Nope. The damage of this contract is done. Refunding it (which is not a realistic option here in my opinion, or a good idea) would not impact her JSS any further than it already is impacted either way.

2) Nope. The damage of this contract is done. Refunding it (which is not a realistic option here in my opinion, or a good idea) would not impact her JSS any further than it already is impacted either way.

Umm.. I'm afraid you didn't seem to get me.

Upwork brings down her JSS once for getting a negative feedback (public &/or private).

That damage is already done (Vanessa will see it when she gets a JSS: it can't be 100%). That's the first round of JSS discipline for her.

Upwork WILL bring her JSS down a second time if she decides to refund the whole sum ("atrocious! You mean all the developers and mods here shouldn't eat? Just like that?")

The penalty for getting a negative review is less than the penalty for getting a negative review, and then refunding.

The system is designed to strongly discourage refunds.

@Antonio W wrote:

Upwork WILL bring her JSS down a second time if she decides to refund the whole sum

No. It will not.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru

Hi Vanessa,

Once you become Top Rated, you can remove feedback once within a 3 month period (and after you've completed 10 contracts during the aforementioned 3-month length of time).

Prior to becoming Top Rated, you have the option of politely responding to the feedback so it appears on your profile. Some freelancers will say, "Just move on." However, it's entirely up to you. If you do choose to respond in the future, I'd focus on the facts in as positive tone as possible (I've done so in the past and invites, as well as contract offers, continued to flow to me). 

(I've done so in the past and invites, as well as contract offers, continued to flow to me). 

Did the invites and contract offers come from the same clients who gave you negative feedback?

I'm just curious. I know anything can happen though, maybe they could feel some remorse for an unjustified piece of negativity they put into your profile? Anything can happen I know but please confirm.

Antonio wrote earlier, "But I have a simple question though. Did Upwork somehow leak the secret recipe to you?
Seriously?
You want my opinion? The JSS is dollar-value weighed.
This is especially true when you fail to satisfy a client. I really won't classify my rant as conjecture."

It is not conjecture but based on comments by moderators. Here's an example,

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Insight-on-how-Job-Success-Score-is-calculated/td-p/87...

where Valeria K of Upwork states,

- The amount of money paid on a contract doesn't affect JSS

By the way, this is only of academic interest, but prior to JSS, freelancers were judged by their cumulative 5 star rating, which *was* dollar-weighted, and because of this precedent, I assumed JS was likewise dollar-weighted, and so was most surprised to learn that it's not.