Did you mean: 

Unwelcome behavior by some clients

moneerba
Ace Contributor
Mohammad Moneer B Member Since: Sep 3, 2017
1 of 10

I am here requesting that upwork address clients who do any of the following:

• keep requesting work beyond original scope of work
  • delay payment with no legitimate reason after work has been submited according to requirements (15 days is too long)
  • Lie about their actual location (this is related to security in some areas of the world)
  • Lie about their true identity (also related to security)
  • Other infringements

I would stress that the majority of clients are respectful but some clients do some of the above behaviors.

If Upwork is serious about maintaining a secure marketplace, then it should address the above issues.

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
2 of 10
You can always report such clients to Upwork. They will take action against them if they found the report is true.
richard-santiago
Community Leader
Kishor P Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
3 of 10

Definitely, that can be done. But what about consequences of soured relationship? You know what i am pointging out to. dispute, negative private-public feedback and eventually jss.

Any answer??

@Ramesh K wrote:
You can always report such clients to Upwork. They will take action against them if they found the report is true.

nik-undalok
Ace Contributor
Leonida U Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
4 of 10

That is so right. Freelancers value feedback so much and a negative feedback from a client will affect our JSS no matter what our issues with the client. Even if the client refuses to accept our work completed and refuses to pay, give us negative feedback. we cannot do anything about it. Can we?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 10

@Moneer B wrote:

This is not only not Upwork's responsibility, it is far beyond the scope of its authority. You have a contract with the client. As a professional running his own business, it is your responsibility to manage the contract according to those terms.

• delay payment with no legitimate reason after work has been submited according to requirements (15 days is too long)

It's funny that you mention 15 days being too long, since 14 days is Upwork's cut-off. 14 days isn't too long--all projects are different in scope, clients have different demands on their schedules, need buy-in from different numbers of stakeholders, etc. 

• Lie about their actual location (this is related to security in some areas of the world)

Upwork does take action on this issue as conflicts are identified.

• Lie about their true identity (also related to security)

Hard to see how this could happen when they're required to enter a credit card in their own name?

richard-santiago
Community Leader
6 of 10

@tlsanders wrote:

@Moneer B wrote:

This is not only not Upwork's responsibility, it is far beyond the scope of its authority. You have a contract with the client. As a professional running his own business, it is your responsibility to manage the contract according to those terms.

1) upwork has lot measures to keep the freelancers on thier toes. Any measure for same for clients?

2) If that is beyond the scope of upork, then upwork has worring future.

3) check below scenario...

Client mentions 3 job requirements...

a) requirement 1
b) requirement 2
c) requirement 3

Now, while working on given job requirements, client ask like can you please look into this new d) requirement.

In best case, freelancer should say sir/madam this is another new work.

Saying that would 100% have negative image of freelancer which will lead to private negative feedback.

In worst cases (experienced clients who are very well aware of importance of feedback would keep giving out new requirements).

Freelancer is locked now.

I don't know about you but i see essence of modern slavary.

tlsanders
Community Guru
7 of 10

Why would Upwork have a worrying future because it acts like exactly the type of company it is? It's a platform, where clients and freelancers connect. it performs very specific services, which are clearly laid out (marketing, escrow, payment processing). It does not serve as an agent or contract negotiator for freelancers. 

People who don't feel competent to run their own businesses or just don't want to have a lot of options for having other people manage their contracts and client relationships for them, but Upwork is not one of those options. It's a platform for professionals who choose to make use of the very specific services Upwork offers.

It's sort of bizarre to me that you view being completely free to make your own bargains as slavery.

richard-santiago
Community Leader
8 of 10

"People who don't feel competent to run their own businesses or just don't want to have a lot of options for having other people manage their contracts and client relationships for them, but Upwork is not one of those options."

When you get into any business service, you come under certain obligations to keep your service free of manipulations.

upwork is certainly a platform where buyers (service buyer) and sellers (seller of service) meet. So, upwork has similar obligations towards for both buyers and consumers.

its simple, asking more than agreed for the same payout is not acceptable.

I have seen many reporting of cases (especially from arab countries like dubai) where emplyer says hey you have to work these much or you will not get your passport. Do you think that is acceptable??

In upwork it is like hey give me more work than agreed or you know very well about negative feedback.

Why do you think in this world there are consumer courts, minimum pay out laws and many more government agencies?

tlsanders
Community Guru
9 of 10

@Kishor P wrote:

"People who don't feel competent to run their own businesses or just don't want to have a lot of options for having other people manage their contracts and client relationships for them, but Upwork is not one of those options."

When you get into any business service, you come under certain obligations to keep your service free of manipulations.

upwork is certainly a platform where buyers (service buyer) and sellers (seller of service) meet. So, upwork has similar obligations towards for both buyers and consumers.

I disagree. If you want a platform that will babysit the parties through the details of each contract, you can probably find a company that provides that service. I am personally not interested in paying 40% of more in fees so that Upwork can hire several dozen full-time employees to manage that process. Like many other freelancers, I freelance because I want to make my own decisions and run my own business, not be micromanaged by people without my subject-matter expertise.

its simple, asking more than agreed for the same payout is not acceptable.

Correct. And, as an adult professional running his own business, you can and should assert yourself on that point and refuse to do more than was agreed unless you are fairly compensated for that extra work.

I have seen many reporting of cases (especially from arab countries like dubai) where emplyer says hey you have to work these much or you will not get your passport. Do you think that is acceptable??

I can't imagine what this might have to do with Upwork.

In upwork it is like hey give me more work than agreed or you know very well about negative feedback.

Why do you think in this world there are consumer courts, minimum pay out laws and many more government agencies?

Honestly, I think that if you are a person who feels you have no choice but to work for free in case a person might give you the wrong number of gold stars, you are not equipped to run your own business. This is not directed at you specifically, but to any freelancer who allows clients to hold him hostage based on feedback threats.

As you mention, there are many laws in various jurisdictions protecting EMPLOYEES. Those who need those protections should seriously consider working as employees. When you choose to operate your own business, you choose a different set of rules. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 10
Who cares op welcome to business on le internets.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS