Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up work is very unrewarding for new freelancers

96137c0c
Gemma B Member Since: Jan 27, 2021
1 of 23

Hi,

I wanted to raise this with the dev team and also the communtiy. I've been using the site for 6 months. I find it really unrewarding when i spend time on an application and hear nothing from the clients. Half the time they dont even close their job. 

To solve this could their not be a simple 'decline' or 'accept' button client side that sends a nice automated message to the freelancer that the client HAS to use?

If the freelancers are putting in the time then the client should be made to at least acknowlegde applications. I even had a phone interview the other and heard nothing. Its incredibly rude and does not spur me on to use the site.

I just feel something needs to be done to make freelancers feel more appreciated seeing as we have to pay too.

G Smiley Happy

growmyretail
Ace Contributor
Pieter B Member Since: Apr 2, 2020
2 of 23

I would say it is not needed.

It's like HR and recruiting departments for a firm or company.
The average time spent on a resume or application or when you apply for a job is about 3 seconds tops (something in that area). Unless you stand out from the first second. 
All that hard work you spent on a tailored cover letter and your polished resume is just gone in a blink of an eye.
And that is how traditional HR works.

Imagine a client/employer on a digital platform, that has to go over tons of applications. It is in their right to just throw it in the bin, ignore it and focus/spend their time on the ones that do stand out from the very first millisecond.

When you apply for a job here on UpWork, what should stand out is your headline, mine is: 

Management | Corporate DNA | Finance | Digital Strategist, which I am planning to adapt now in a more focused market.

Ratings and score

and most likely the first sentence you write when applying.

that takes about 2-3 seconds tops and decisions are made on impulse.

Clients leaving job posts open, eventually close if no action is taken.
That said, before applying, you have to check their ongoing processes, hiring rates, and if they have other jobs open or in progress and that alone will say a lot if clients are actively seeking.

Another part is that, UpWork is NOT the only platform. Top of my head, there are at least 5 other platforms where that employer can post the same job.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 23

Gemma B wrote:

To solve this could their not be a simple 'decline' or 'accept' button client side that sends a nice automated message to the freelancer that the client HAS to use?

If you are accepted, you'll get contacted by the client. If you don't get contacted by the client, you are not (yet or ever) "accepted" and some automated message does nothing but clutter up your mailbox. 

Anything that irritates clients and makes te hiring process more cumbersome is a bad thing, including clicking 50 "No Thanks" buttons.

Apart from that, when you say the client "HAS TO" use the button, what are you roposing to do to the client if they don't? Send the client to bed without dinner? Nuke their account? 

Gemma B wrote:

Its incredibly rude and does not spur me on to use the site.

It's not "incredibly rude" - it is just the way online freelancing works. You get used to it. Don't take it personally.

You can completely eliminate feeling so much frustration about this by sending your proposals and then simply forgetting all about them, never looking at them again and not giving them a second thought at all unless and until a client contacts you back. 

Also, Upwork is literally drowning in freelancers. Their business model is to spur on clients to spend money (which benefits freelancers) - Spuring on freelancers isn't that high on the list of priorities if doing so would be detrimental to the client-experience.

9b193774
Matthew V C Member Since: Jan 26, 2021
4 of 23

If Petra was a community "guru" she would have responded more respectfully and sympathetically to you. Don't listen to her. 

chuckepstein
Charles E Member Since: Mar 13, 2019
5 of 23

You say Upwork's intent is to stimulate companies to hire freelancers. That is not true.  Upwork makes money on boh sides, and the current economy of permatemps, gig workers and tem employees is part of the new economy and it makes freelancing a dead end financially.  If you want to make money, do not be a freelancer.  Find anything else.  Upwork makes it possible to hire freelancers from overseas where they are happey to work for less versus a US freelancer.  That means you cannot compete.  That's the  reason the current generation is poorer than their parents.  This is the first time this has happened in US history and it will get worse. It's also clear from these forums that Upwork has many client complaints, poor customer service,  and operates an unstable system.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 23

Chuck E wrote:

You say Upwork's intent is to stimulate companies to hire freelancers. That is not true.  Upwork makes money on boh sides, and the current economy of permatemps, gig workers and tem employees is part of the new economy and it makes freelancing a dead end financially.  If you want to make money, do not be a freelancer.  Find anything else.  Upwork makes it possible to hire freelancers from overseas where they are happey to work for less versus a US freelancer.  That means you cannot compete.  That's the  reason the current generation is poorer than their parents.  This is the first time this has happened in US history and it will get worse. It's also clear from these forums that Upwork has many client complaints, poor customer service,  and operates an unstable system.

wat

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
7 of 23

We were all new once. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
8 of 23

I will never understand why people who think Upwork is just awful stick around to complain.  If I felt that way, I'd be gone in a minute.  

chuckepstein
Charles E Member Since: Mar 13, 2019
9 of 23

**Edited for Community Guidelines**  Being a freelancer, gig worker or part-time worker essentially means you are unemployed but have something to do to kill time.  Face it: the gig economy is the road to subsistence living. Upwork makes it hard to get work and to get paid. **Edited for Community Guidelines**  Too bad the freelancers who think Upwork will help them don't realize this, too.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 23

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Chuck E wrote:

Upwork makes it hard to get work and to get paid. .

What you mean is that you find it hard to get work and make money here.

But hey, you can't make money here? That's fine. Maybe there is another place that suits you better. Leave this platform to those of us who do manage to make money.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS