cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UpWork Closing A Contract Due To Inactivity: Does It Effect JSS?

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
1 of 6

I have a client whom I've been trying to contact for a while now and I've essentially given up. Yesterday I received an email from UpWork stating that they are going to close the contract due to inactivity, which is fine:

"Per the escrow instructions for fixed-price contracts and for your security, we notified your client that they need to take action on this contract in order for it to remain open. If no new milestone updates, payments or refunds are made in the next 2 weeks, this contract will be closed on Upwork. If the contract is closed, you will receive a refund request for $XXXX (the funds still in escrow)."

If this happens and I give a refund, will that effect my JSS?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

Hi Maria,

Refunds do not affect the Job Success Score, only the outcome of the contracts and prolonged period of inactivity.

Untitled

View solution in original post

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 6

Thank you Vladimir!

orsonbudd
Milan P Member Since: Feb 6, 2020
4 of 6

Well, one of my contracts was closed today due to inactivity and my JSS dropped from 100 to 91%.

I have also received a message that the client has requested a refund which she DID NOT DO because we are STILL WORKING on the project, this makes no sense and it's the SECOND TIME it happens to me, last time it took me months to get my JSS back to 100%. I DID NOT receive any messages and warnings prior to closing the contract. This client and I have more contracts open, we are communicating and exchanging files on a daily basis. Oh yes, I'm also a plus user. Thanks, Upwork, real slick.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 6

Milan P wrote:

Well, one of my contracts was closed today due to inactivity and my JSS dropped from 100 to 91%.

No. A contract closing today has not affected your JSS, because your JSS was recalculated last Sunday. Whatever happened today won't be included in your JSS calculation until the next update. The JSS updates every 14 days, on a Sunday

However, when the contract got to 2+ months old, it started to affect your JSS. You can avoid contracts aging out by setting smaller, more frequent milestones. All it needs is a single Dollar paid.

Your client can reverse the effect of the contract on your JSS by simply making a partial payment on the closed contract (as a bonus) for the work done to date. After that the effect of the contract on your JSS will be neutral, and if your client leaves good feedback on the contract after paying some money (regardless of the amount, as long as it is over $ 1) the contract counts as a positive factor on your JSS.

She can then set up another contract for the rest of the work.

Milan P wrote:

... it's the SECOND TIME it happens to me,

Then you should know that letting contracts go on with no money ever changing hands from the start for multiple months is not a good idea... Set more frequent milestones, then it won't happen again, but understand that the effect can be reversed by payment.

orsonbudd
Milan P Member Since: Feb 6, 2020
6 of 6

Hey Petra, thank you for that answer! That's very good info, too bad it's never mentioned as a tutorial when you start working on this platform...I'll check with my client and see what we can do.

Thank you again this info was gold!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS