cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UpWork cancelled milestone against an active project, triggering a return of funds from escrow?

jrwaodesk
Jason A Member Since: Jul 28, 2017
1 of 5

Hi,

I received an email a couple of days ago notifying me that a recurring client of mine, for a project I am currently working on together with them, has requested return of funds from escrow. However after speaking with the client they informed me that they didn't issue the request, and after looking further into it themselves that it appears to have been an automated trigger from UpWork because of the age of the project. 

As such is there a way to cancel this request? Firstly so I don't end up loosing funds issuing a refund that was never asked for. And secondly so my account doesn't end up becoming impacted negatively because of this, i.e ratings and reputation. And if not, why not? And what can be done about this so that I don't have to submit a dispute against the project? 

Thanks 

cylver1z
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
2 of 5

Hello Jason,

The contract will be closed due to inactivity and it is system generated that funds will be refunded back to your client. Please respond to the notification to prevent the refund or ask your client to release the funds. Thanks!

Untitled
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 5

@Ryan C wrote:

The contract will be closed due to inactivity and it is system generated that funds will be refunded back to your client. Please respond to the notification to prevent the refund or ask your client to release the funds. Thanks!

"Responding to the notification" will not prevent the refund.

The best way forward is for the client to release part of the funds to pay you for work already done (surely you have achieved "something" in the last 3 months) and then set up a new milestone using the remaining funds in Escrow.

So if there are $ 600 in Escrow for Milestone 1, and you're about a third through, the client can release $ 200, and set up Milestone 2 worth $ 400.

That will stop the refund and start the 3 month countdown from scratch.

jrwaodesk
4 of 5

Excellent, thanks I'll ask the client to give that a go.

Its annoying that we have to go through this process although I understand why, but still it would be handy if the clients themselves had an option to cancel these automated actions when they occur, that or just a simple notification beforehand if it doesn't already exist? Just a little something to think about for UpWork.

jrwaodesk
5 of 5
Just an FYI in case anybody else happens to find themselves in a similar situation at some point.

The client tried to resolve this with UpWork however because they closed the contract we were advised that to get around this, we would have to go through the dispute process so that the client can action the release of funds, followed by creating a new contract for any outstanding miles or work.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS