🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » UpWork's Unfair Freelancer Search Algorithm
Page options
digitalmole
Community Member

UpWork's Unfair Freelancer Search Algorithm

Hello

I'm fairly new to UpWork but have over 15 years of experience in my industry - video production / editing. 

I've noticed that every time I do a search for a Freelance 'Video Editor' (to see the platform from a client's perspective) the same few people are at the top of the search results. These aren't necessarily 'Top Earners' - but definitely established UpWorkers. I've tried this search on multiple computers to see if it was something to do with cookies, or browser settings, but no - the exact same people appear.

I'm doing the broadest search possible - just 'video editor ' to give the algorithm plenty of opportunity to put other freelancers on the first page of search results but whatever i do, it's the same people. 

Needless to say, this seems incredibly unfair. Basically, it leaves very little room for new people to get work on the platfrom. The same people get ahead of the queue and are visible in the search results, regardless of the potential of new,  and upcoming Freelancers.  

Is this just my industry or are other people finding the same?

I reached out to the customer support chatbot (think it's a real person but might as well be a robot) who posted infuriating suggestions like - send proposals and apply for relevant jobs. Like i haven't already tried that!

Is UpWork just an elitist platform for the select few that can break through the algorithm or can experienced, talented freelancers get a foothold? 

Cheers

Fabio

12 REPLIES 12
mtngigi
Community Member

Across the board in all catagories, freelancer profiles (the millions of us) are routinely rotated so that we all have a fair chance of coming up in search results.

ETA: There's nothing "unfair" or "elitist" about it. We all started at zero; it is not a given that all will succeed, no matter how experienced. This is a huge marketplace with a lot of competition.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

Across the board in all catagories, freelancer profiles (the millions of us) are routinely rotated so that we all have a fair chance of coming up in search results.

This is true. I've tested it from week to week and it seems like 2 out of every 4 weeks I'm in my category in the list, and then I'm not, with nothing changing. 

Many people new to Upwork test out the search tools, and think something is not working, or think something isn't fair. That is a common reaction.

The problem is that they are assuming search here works the same way it does on Google, or other same as on other sites they have used. But it is very different. I can't think of any other site where search works like Upwork's.

Actually, I would hope that it doesn't work like Google otherwise yes, it would only ever be the same people at the top of the search results. 

Of course. the search algorithm should be weighted to help clients find people who are already established on UpWork - i'm just saying that needs to be balanced with giving new members a fair shot. Otherwise, what is the point? 

Ok. if we are in fact 'rotated' as you say, then yes that would be fair. 

My experience over the last few weeks is that there is no 'rotation. The same people appear every time. 

petra_r
Community Member

Fabio B wrote:

Needless to say, this seems incredibly unfair. Basically, it leaves very little room for new people to get work on the platfrom.

Is UpWork just an elitist platform for the select few that can break through the algorithm or can experienced, talented freelancers get a foothold? 

You are free to apply to job posts the same as everyone else. So that's very fair indeed.

How is that unfair?

Yes, I can and do apply to job posts. But Upwork says that a third of jobs come through invites so it's only fair that people new to UpWork have the opportunity to be spotted in search results and perhaps invited to apply as well. Don't you think?

Fabio B wrote:

But Upwork says that a third of jobs come through invites so it's only fair that people new to UpWork have the opportunity to be spotted in search results and perhaps invited to apply as well. Don't you think?

I think that high percentage (a third) s mainly because it includes the many times when repeat clients invite their previous freelancers, so it isn't just people being blindly found in searches.

Generally, new freelancers get less invites, even if they are shown in search results.

I promise you, once you have completed the first few contracts, you will start getting invites. 

Fabio B wrote:

Yes, I can and do apply to job posts. But Upwork says that a third of jobs come through invites so it's only fair that people new to UpWork have the opportunity to be spotted in search results and perhaps invited to apply as well. Don't you think?

I'd take that with a grain of salt. I have yet to be invited to a job that I took. All my jobs have been ones I've applied for and spent connects. And I get LOTS of invites - at least what I consider a lot. 

2a05aa63
Community Member

Searched are very resource heavy, therefore it gets cached (saved) and shown the same data for some amount of time. People get there rotated but it's not on every search.

researchediting
Community Member

Careful what you wish for. Upwork has sent out an email affirming their intention to give search result priority to freelancers with specialized profiles—which many of us have argued for months are not suited to our particular businesses.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Careful what you wish for. Upwork has sent out an email affirming their intention to give search result priority to freelancers with specialized profiles—which many of us have argued for months are not suited to our particular businesses.

ETA: Deleted, because what's the point? Thanks DMM, apparently I'm not on the list of people they sent that email to. Dear Upwork, please get rid of that pop-up asking me what I think. I mean really ... what's the point?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members