🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » UpWork service fees.
Page options
ec2c3400
Community Member

UpWork service fees.

Recently, Upwork has changed the size of the service fees and applies floating fees.

These are BOT responses from UpWork support.

BOT: Freelancers pay a sliding fee based on lifetime billings with each client. The fees are the same whether the contracts are hourly or fixed-price and apply to bonus payments.
BOT: Here's how freelancer fees work:
BOT: - 20% for the first $500 you bill a client across all contracts with them - 10% for total billings with a client between $500.01 and $10,000 - 5% for total billings with a client that exceed $10,000

Why is there a 20% charge applied on my last payment for a completed Project of $ 505?

Also, I have an ongoing Project worth more than $ 1000 and UpWork again applies a 20% fee. Please explain to me why, when choosing a Fixed Price Project, you show that you have floating fees, and when you receive money as a Freelancer, you apply 20% on any amount.

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes, this is all working as intended. The fees are all calculated automatically. You don't need to do anything to ensure that it's done correctly.

A $1000 fixed-price contract with a brand-new client?

Your fee will be 20% for $500 and 10% for earnings above $500.

I have a $ 505 bill paid today. Check, please.

I know that up to $ 500.1 you charge a 20% fee. I have $ 505.
Yes, 1500 USD is a new Client contract created on 05/07/2021. Check, please.

Your screenshot confirms that everything is being calculated correctly.

You posted earnings of $505

20% of 505 is $101

But your fee wasn't $101

It was $100.50

So we can see that you paid 20% for the first $500 and 10% for what you earned above $500.

Now I understand what you think.
On the Projects page, this calculation method is not clearly indicated and is misleading. I understood that when paying up to $ 500, the fees are 20%, and over $ 500.1 - 10%. Exactly as indicated.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062538-Freelancer-Service-Fees

As a freelancer, you’re charged a sliding fee based on your lifetime billings with each non-Enterprise client. This includes all contracts you’ve ever had with that client...

• $0-$500: 20%
  • $500.01-$10,000: 10%
  • $10,000.01 or more: 5%

Example: On a $600 project with a new client, a freelancer’s service fee would be 20% on the first $500 and 10% on the remaining $100

========================
I'm sorry that you find the current version unclear or misleading. Please go ahead and reword that in a way that makes more sense to you. Post your re-worked version in this thread.

I don’t know how to put it right, but it doesn’t look like sliding fees. This is more like a progressive income fee (like a progressive tax rate). Maybe you should give an example as you did in your post, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the clarification.

european74
Community Member

I pay 27% commision for the first $500 I bill a client. It includes VAT. I cannot get back any VAT tax because I am not registered VAT payer.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members