🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » UpWork - the worst customer service in the wo...
Page options
lukzar
Community Member

UpWork - the worst customer service in the world?

What do you think?

I believe if you take into account how much they charge/with the support they give they have by far the worst customer service.

Shame
17 REPLIES 17
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Lidija,

I'm sorry you feel this way about the support you received. I see that you have an open ticket with our customer support team which has been escalated and a supervisor addressed your questions in their reply earlier today. Please, refer to the ticket for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have to agree with Lidija. I have contacted support 3 times now and have heard nothing. I am simply trying to verify my ID so I can work. It denied my ID upon the first time trying to submit it and without any directive of what to do next I've been left with nothing. I used UpWork before as a client and now as a Freelancer I am extremely disappointed in the CS.

6dea4891
Community Member

I agree, so far the customer service I have received is subpar. I do not get specific answer to the questions I am asking, they send me to one of the FAQ forums. If my answer was there, I wouldn't be reaching out to you. 

Also, you have to hunt down an email address for support. And a phone number is no where to be found. 

I will not recommend Upwork to any of my collegues, and if I wasn't under a current contract, I would no longer use the platform. 

Why am I paying a fee to get a runaround?

a_lipsey
Community Member

If it makes you feel any better, the customer service at a certain health watch company is worse. Basically you put in a support request and it can take months (literally months) for them to respond. 

So why has upwork suddenly stopped responding to frelancers via support chats? It doesn't make any sense. The CS is becoming very poor. Upwork always talk about offering quality services to client but in reality, they're offering the worst CS experience to freelancers. I've opened tickets days ago about connects I'myet to received, yet no one has responded not even confirmation email to show that they've received. This is a mediocre CS.

douglaswright
Community Member

2 years later and it seems nothing's changed. Customer Support here is non-existent in my experience.

yofazza
Community Member

I realized 2-3 years ago that it's a trend in some types of ecommerce, or online service in general, to reduce human customer support and push FAQs, smart FAQs, bots, and "community" into action.

Not all though, there are still services that has the right humans (eg: the "correct personnel" that really understand the problem) responded in less than an hour. I don't know about others but I still prefer the latter.

ps: That "dispute management" too, involving their employee only to tell conflicting parties to solve it on their own. I've seen it in a few other places. 

tjmisny
Community Member

Expert Vetted freelancer with $240k in earnings here - I fully agree.  Upwork customer service is very poor.  We all deserve better!  

the3dguru
Community Member

They've been pretty good for me in fact. They are certainly no worse than most online support, the usual canned replies to common questions and so on. I think the individuals involved do a decent job but the company systems define how much they can help. That applies to any company.

I would agree that Upwork, as a company, doesn't value its productive freelancers enough. I think it sees us a bit more like hamsters on wheels than valued assets.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I have to admit, customer service for me has been fine. I haven't had major issues and any I have had got resolved pretty quickly, but please get rid of the chatbot, it is not adding value to the service any more than a quick google search does, in fact, get rid of it and put a Google search button there instead, believe me, you get better results.

I do admit that the platform has had a few gremlins lately and that has been frustrating but that isn't due to customer service per se, that is technology.

055cd33f
Community Member

Upwork's Customer Support is non-existent. Our corporate credit card was full at a certain moment. After the 2nd reminder, we cleared it and paid the open balance, a relatively low amount. An hour AFTER the payment, Upwork said they've issued us a refund to the card and we should contact the freelancer (which we did). A week later we're still waiting for a refund and after several attempts to contact a human at Upwork Support, which is impossible I gave up. 

I got to this forum by googling, "Upwork support is terrible".  It is...

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way, Phillip. 

It looks like the refund was processed, but it appears it was refunded back to your Upwork balance, as shown here. I have shared your open ticket and your concern with the Customer Support Team, and they will reach out to you through your open support ticket to assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
35ed3a23
Community Member

Well, it's now 2023 and it is still non-existent. I came across this by googling due to another unrelated issue on their site. You're forced to submit tickets, google forum answers, and hear "community managers" spew non-technical answers to technical questions. For example, there are people, including myself, not able to send and receive messages which in turn is costing us revenue. The Upwork answer is "clear your cookies on your browser." Then when it came up that this issue is simultaneously occurring on their mobile app what do you hear? Crickets. 

The customer service (low budget, not the customer service staff) is bringing the company down, the share price is tanking,

If they spent more on customer service, the revenue would sky rocket!! along with the shareprice

c910d8fb
Community Member

This is funny because it was 3 years ago, before the cut out phone support with that annoying postmates song playing that makes you want to kill yourself.  I recently found out they nolonger have email support and want you to have other freelancers be your support while you pay them 15 bucks per month.  I am making them call me back and the process has taken 6 days so far.  I made over 150K last year on CraigsList and zero with these guys.  

684013ea
Community Member

I agree. Just found this 3 years later googling this. I'm just trying to ask a simple question about an email I recieved from UpWork and the chat bot doesn't understand anything. It just keeps redirecting me to irrelevant information. Its extremely frustrating and a huge friction point for me to continue using UpWork.

Hi Alan,

I'm sorry you were having trouble contacting support. I see that you've recently raised a support ticket regarding your concern. As soon as the next available agent gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members