Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on freelancer performance evaluations

Highlighted
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 39

Hi all,

As you’re all aware, a few months ago we began actively placing freelancer accounts under review, and in some cases suspending these accounts due to low performance in the marketplace. We’re continuing this effort, as we’ve seen more jobs completed with a positive outcome and a healthier marketplace overall.

We’ve heard a lot of input from the community during this process and as a result, we’ve made adjustments to help alleviate some of the main concerns. Here’s what we’ve changed:

1. All freelancers will receive an email notification in advance of being placed under "formal review" or suspended. This email is our effort to be more transparent in this process and give freelancers an alert, should any part of the work history be of concern.
  2. We’ve improved our processing of freelancer appeals and inquiries. While the guidelines/process for submitting a formal appeal still apply (please see our Help materials here for how to submit an appeal) we realize this situation can be alarming and we want to be available to assist right away.

We will continue to monitor freelancer performance on a regular basis. And, we’ll continue to improve upon this process so there are no “surprises” and we provide the proper avenues for you to seek assistance. The reality is most of you won’t be impacted by this. You are good freelancers and the pride you take in your work shows in the positive results of your jobs and satisfied clients.

A special thanks to those of you who continue to deliver great results on oDesk. Your professionalism, enthusiasm and passion for doing quality work does not go unnoticed.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 39

This is a great change.  Kudos oDesk.  I believe even if placed on review freelancers should have a chance to defend themselves.  I know there are scammers out there and I appreciate the efforts, but everyone is entitled to a defense.  WTG oDesk.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Heather G Member Since: Jun 24, 2014
3 of 39

I was recently contacted by support that my account is below average and too many clients were "Unhappy" with my work. I hold a 4.94 average. I had one person who gave me less than 5 stars. When I responded to the "Warning" email they responded with a prefab email saying again that too many clients were unsatisfied! Odesk this makes me lose all confidence in your judgement system!

You will allow clients to not pay..suspend contracts and not pay (even though happy with work) etc but you are going to yell at me because I have a 4.94!!??

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 39

Hopefully it`s just a mistake. Someone with an average that high should not be receiving emails about being `below average. oDesk isn`t exactly known for writing quality algorithms to identify this sort of stuff.

Clients do get to give private feedback but I don`t understand why there should be a big discrepancy between private and public feedback.

Keep trying to get in touch with support and keep bugging them about why you received an email identifying your work as being ``below average``. Unfortunately, oDesk likes to keep this sort of stuff secret. It`s easier to deal with angry freelancers if oDesk doesn`t have to justify their actions.

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
5 of 39

It's things like this that make me wonder if I'm going to get an email out of no where telling me i've been suspended...

Hope you're able to resolve this!

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
6 of 39

Hi Lyam,

As mentioned in my update, we're sending an advanced notice to freelancers before accounts are put under formal review or suspended. If it's related to your performance here on oDesk you won't receive an email out of nowhere telling you that you've been suspended.

That said, if you're explicitly violating a policy or exhibiting some egregiously bad behavior, then we may take immediate action on your account. But, based on your track record I doubt you have to worry about that.

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
7 of 39

With all due respect, I find your addressing one poster individually a little bit strange, especially when you have another poster who poured her soul into her post here and that post was completely ignored -not even replied to with common "we will look into it."Liam is not the only one who is worried here-I think we all are. When I look at Susan's profile, I 'm worried as well! (And not just that-the way she presented her case altogether.) It is not important just because of the individuals who are affected, but because it is a matter of principle (or the lack thereof.)

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
8 of 39

Natasa M,

I noticed the mods usually keep quiet if they can't say something chirpy, or along the lines of chirpiness. Maybe because Lyam is the only one not in-line for a review/suspension since he's only been around for about a month and hence has minimal contact and experience with bad clients who sabotage freelancers. In other words, it is only to him that something nice can be said by the mod. For the rest of us? Dun dun dun dun!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
9 of 39

I thought they improved this a few days ago. Garnor (moderator) even posted an update on freelancer performance evaluations thread.

I truly wish oDesk stops saying one thing and sneakily doing some other thing. Looks like the different teams do not even communicate with how things are going on.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Susan Seawolf H Member Since: Oct 2, 2013
10 of 39

Would you by any chance have a working link for the update on the freelancer evaluator review thread?  The one posted in your comment doesn't work - thanks so much - Susan

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS