Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on your profile settings

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 39

Hi Randall and Scott,

In your profile visibility settings on Upwork you can set your profile to be visible only by logged in users. Here is a screenshot:

Profile Settings - Google Chrome (07-16-2015 21.43.49).png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shannon P Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
12 of 39

This is such a MASSIVE invasion of privacy, and the idea that posting earnings publically gets you more work is absolute bull. Even if it does, shouldn't it be MY choice to take that measure? It's not like it affects Upwork at all whether I'm chosen for a job or not. I've pretty much made a living on Elance for 6 years and never had my earnings public — never had an issue getting work. 

There's obviously some other reason for taking this measure that has nothing to do with Upwork trying to get us more work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 39

This will help me with my ultimate goal of being a rich man's baggage, so I can spend my days at Starbucks complaining that the cleaning lady didn't put enough creases in my bed sheets.

Search settings: Highest earners!

Highlighted
Community Leader
Scott E Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
14 of 39

"...my ultimate goal of being a rich man's baggage..."

How rich are we talking? I can stretch to a Starbucks allowance and a cleaner, not sure about yachts and penthouses though. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 39

@Scott E wrote:

"...my ultimate goal of being a rich man's baggage..."

How rich are we talking? I can stretch to a Starbucks allowance and a cleaner, not sure about yachts and penthouses though. 

What's your Upwork earnings like? I will see this soon and verify. No BMW guys either. If you have an XBox instead of a PS4, I'm not sure I can even talk to you.

Highlighted
Community Leader
16 of 39

"What's your Upwork earnings like?"

Zero of your Earth dollars. I considered submitting proposals, but then I'd have to actually do some work... and that would seriously cut into valuable time spent drinking wine, lounging around in forums, sipping cocktails by the pool, watching films, cooking the finest foods available to humanity and eagerly awaiting the release of No Man's Sky. 

On Elance though... enough to drink one litre of wine a day for 468 years. I believe that's become the norm for expressing one's earnings these days. 

I do get cheap wine where I live though!

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
17 of 39

Yes, the option to hide earnings is not available on Upwork. We have found through research and testing that displaying freelancer earnings is an important factor for hiring and helps freelancers win more contracts and more quickly grow their earnings.

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
18 of 39

I'm having trouble getting on board with that. If the same amount of clients are coming to Upwork, and the same amount of clients are awarding projects as they normally would, then it's not physically possibly for freelancers to win more projects as a result of this. If the option to display or hide earnings was there, then I could maybe beleive that, but it's not. 

The only way it would be possible for freelancers to win more contracts is if displaying public earnings either brings more clients to the site (which is very unlikely, as they can't see the earnings before they come to the site) or... some clients decide not to award a project to any freelancers at all, as they're not aware how much their chosen freelancer has earned on the site. I just can't see that being likely in the slightest, sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really that fussed if I have to show them or not, but it's a bit disappointing when the reason for doing so seems so unlikley. Yes, you may have done testing and research, but have you considered that your testing and research might be wrong? These things happen.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
19 of 39

Ah, but Scott, one must translate from the Upworkese:

"We have found through research and testing that displaying freelancer earnings is an important factor for hiring and helps freelancers win more contracts and more quickly grow their earnings."

When Upwork does not say "all freelancers," it means "some freelancers." This practice and rationale is consistent with Upwork's attempt to move Upmarket with higher-earning (and arguably lower-maintenance) providers, and higher-spending (and apparently worth maintaining at all costs) clients.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shannon P Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
20 of 39

Lena,

I understand that, that's the reasoning that was given in the email. Still, it doesn't really answer much.

1. Why do you care whether I in particular get a job over someone else? You don't. Therefore shouldn't it be my decision whether to make these earnings visible and get all of this extra work you're claiming exists if I do so?

2. I'm assuming you surveyed people looking for freelancers to come to this conclusion. Can we see some of the reasoning behind this? I've hired freelancers in addition to being a freelancer myself and I can easily say I've never even considered looking at total earnings before hiring someone, and its never prevented me from getting work. 

3. Are clients going to be required to publically share how much they bring in a year? I'd be more likely to apply for work with a company that makes $10mil a year over some guy making $50k

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS