Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on your profile settings

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
21 of 39

Hi Shannon,

The information about the client's total amount spent on the platform and the average rate paid is available in the job posting. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
22 of 39

You mean the feature hasn't been added, and the developers are too busy copying Trivial Pursuit answers and fannying about with the colour of badges.

This is clearly a feature that a lot of freelancers want. I wouldn't use it personally, but many would. Upwork is a tool we use to conduct our businesses, but I think most of us would prefer you didn't make this sort of decision on how we run them.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Frank T Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
23 of 39

On the contrary, I have found, without any need for research, that I do NOT wish to have my earnings available to anyone who cares to look, and I see on this Forum I am by no means alone.

This is invasion of privacy, and, I would guess, perhaps even contrary to some privacy laws.

It should be up to members whether to reveal their earnings, NOT Upwork.

It is breathtakingly disrespectful for Upwork to decide otherwise because of 'research'.

How about actually considering the wishes of the members?

Already 'researching' other platforms which show some respect...

Highlighted
Robert G K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
24 of 39

Here is a crazy idea, let your customers decide whether or not they want their earnings information made public or not.  We don't really give a darn what your research says, we want the ability to determine for ourselves if we want to keep our financial earnings private or not.  Happy customers are loyal customers, and it appears that is just not something the management here really concerns themselves with much although they claim they do while talking from both sides of their mouths.

Highlighted
Roberta B Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
25 of 39

I totally agree. In fact, I believe it is illegal for any organization to make its clients' financial information public without their permission. Any lawyers or SEC employees in the discussion that can confirm this? Anyone interested in starting a class action lawsuit?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Scott E Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
26 of 39

I'm not a lawyer, I dropped out in my first year of studying law to seek a life of action, adventure and depravity... but there's nothing wrong with them displaying your earnings. By remaining on the platform you basically give permission for them to do so. If you don't want to provide permission, then you're welcome to leave. 

That's not to say I agree with the situation, don't get me wrong... I don't want to you to leave and I think people should have the choice. But that's just the way it is. 

Highlighted
27 of 39

Really? Does a bank or a stockbroker get to say, "If you don't like me disclosing your financial data to the world, you can take your business elsewhere"? I don't think so, I think they would find themselves in pretty hot water with the government if they tried. Upwork is a business that handles other people's money for them, just like a bank or stockbroker, so why shouldn't it have to abide by the same regulations?

Highlighted
Community Leader
28 of 39

If the rules of the game are that they disclose your earnings.... then you agree to that by playing the game. If they introduce this at a later date, then should they give you warning and you decide to agree or disagree. If they didn't disclose earnings and then did disclose earnings (without prior notice), then that would be slightly different. 

The thing is, it's a website owned by somebody other than you and I, and if they want to make the earnings (that have been generated through their site) public, then they are within their rights to do that. It's probably illegal to force somebody to wear a hat, but if you insist that people wear a hat when they are in your house then they will either need to wear a hat or not enter your house. It's not like they are making our drivers license, passport and non-upwork earnings public. 

Highlighted
29 of 39

After doing a little more research, I came across this very interesting information on the FTC website about the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which was enacted in 1999. It basically obligates any business which is "significantly engaged" in financial services to provide an opt-out option to its customers, consumers and affiliates before sharing their financial information with non-affiliated third parties. The definition of "significantly engaged" includes: "lending, transferring, investing for others, or safeguarding money or securities." I believe Upwork would qualify under "transferring" and "safeguarding" money for others.

Such businesses are required to provide everyone whose money they handle privacy notices which include a "reasonable opportunity to exercise their right to opt out", usually 30 days from the sending of the notice. (Now you know why your bank and credit card companies keep sending all those notices: it's the law, and the fines for breaking the law can be quite hefty.)

The FTC and other federal enforcement agencies may bring enforcement actions against any business that fails to comply with these privacy laws.

Highlighted
Community Leader
30 of 39

I completely disagree, but you should feel free to believe what you feel works best for you. If you think you should sue Upwork for billions of dollars for their shocking mismanagement of of your Upwork related data which may or may not have resulted in severe psychological trauma and stess beyond compare, then so be it. I wish you well.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS