cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on your profile settings

Dickson K Member Since: Jul 27, 2009
31 of 39

I am absolutely interested in this class action. Massive invasion of privacy.

Dickson K Member Since: Jul 27, 2009
32 of 39

This issue of forcibly displaying our earnings is utterly ridiculous - if the **bleep** research shows that it's better freelancers to display their earnings (which I highly doubt) then the half-decent thing to do is notify us of this, and include a strong recommendation to this effect. Just give freelancers the choice to display our earnings or not!

I have an idea - in the spirit of 'it will help them become better managers', why doesn't the UpDeskLance CEO and his senior management team also create a blog post with their total monthly earnings for the last, say, 5 years, including bonuses. And update the info every month. Let's see how they like it when their personal financial information can be viewed by just about anyone.

Once again, UpDeskLance management hasn't missed an opportunity to showcase their complete disdain for the freelancers they milk money from - by way of inexplicably terrible ideas, yet not introducing the excellent ideas freelancers are clamouring for. This has been an increasing trend ever since the merger. Let's recount just a few examples, shall we:

- They told us Elance and Odesk will always be kept separate. Err ...

- They forced us to withdraw our money monthly (for $1000+ monthly balances), with the ridiculous argument that "Odesk isn't a bank". Of course, the real reason was that they make money from commissions paid out by their partner bank, so it's in their interest to increase the number of payments. But they later (very quietly, never announced) introduced an option to withdraw quarterly rather than monthly.

- UpDeskLance also makes money from currency conversion fees, by giving you terrible exchange rates but enticingly low transfer fees if you choose to receive your payments in your local currency. And if you choose to receive your cash in USD or Euro, they hit you with exorbitant transfer fees.

- They introduced the paid memberships and connects thing from Elance. It was universally hated by freelancers, but no points for guessing whether UpDeskLance management still forced it down our throats.

- Up to now, in mid-2015, there is amazingly, still no Upwork app for Android! And no, the the next-to-useless messaging app doesn't count. The irony is not lost that there are thousands of Android freelance developers here who've used UpDeskLance to find and develop Android apps and platforms for clients.

- None; not a single one of the many suggestions that have ever been put forward on how to deal with problem clients has ever been implemented.

Take note, dear UpDeskLance management. many of us are now still here ONLY because we don't have a choice. It is disappointingly clear that you stopped considering the views of your clients before taking any decisions. You are simply focused on short-term profiteering moves that will boost your quarterly numbers, with scant regard to how those decisions affect the freelancers you make your money from. Want to know if that's a sustainable long-term strategy? Just ask the former managers of Lehman Bros. But also note - there will, ssoner or later, be a new  platform freelancers that doesn't treat its users with contempt. And we will quickly migrate there once that option is available.

Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
33 of 39

I like the cut of this Dickson fella's jib.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
34 of 39

@Lena E wrote:

Yes, the option to hide earnings is not available on Upwork. We have found through research and testing that displaying freelancer earnings is an important factor for hiring and helps freelancers win more contracts and more quickly grow their earnings.

-Lena

Lena, then please explain why Upwork is hiding payment's made to its freelancers.

Also, as I have stated before, if Upwork is not willing to make the research available to its user base, the research didn't take place as far as many of us are concerned.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
35 of 39

@Krisztina U wrote:

Lena, then please explain why Upwork is hiding payment's made to its freelancers.

Duh, Krisztina, you are being a bit slow today... is it the heat ;D ?

The answer is so obvious: Upwork's own freelancers have already reached the Garden of Eden!

They don't need to grow or increase their earnings or client base - they have ARRIVED.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
36 of 39

@Ela K wrote:

Duh, Krisztina, you are being a bit slow today... is it the heat ;D ?

The answer is so obvious: Upwork's own freelancers have already reached the Garden of Eden!

They don't need to grow or increase their earnings or client base - they have ARRIVED.

Haha, that and the fact that I am not Top Rated, so please bear with me. I am trying (to the best of my none top rated abilities)! ;(

I'd still appreciate Lena's explanation, though!

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
37 of 39

Oh, and before a mod decides to delete my above post - let me be clear: I adore Krisztina and she knows it!

Cindy D Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
38 of 39

I am opposed to the change of making all earnings visible. It is a personal privacy issue that I prefer to keep my earnings non-disclosed. I have been a long-time Elance user and have been compliant in changing to the new platform. However, this is an unacceptable change in policy. I prefer not to have my "salary" available for everyone to see, that is just not the way I conduct my business. Some jobs I took in the beginning were on the low end of the payscale, and I'm charging more now per hour and can command that without revealing the prior low paying jobs or how much money I make in a week, month, quarter, year, or lifetime as a member.

I guess I am old school, but it is not anybody's business about how much money I make.  

Cindy S Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
39 of 39

I'd be happy to be involved in the class action as well. However, more likely I'm going to completely bail on Upwork until they can sort out this privacy issue. They can't come out and say "research has shown...." and then not show us the research. It's the same when our politicians trot out "national security interests", but then don't tell us what those security interests are. We are not stupid.

Get your act together Upwork and listen to your customers. We want privacy for our personal information. Why is it so difficult to add another option to show earnings or not? Can we not choose to go against your mythical "research" ? I was successful in winning jobs for 3 years on Elance without displaying my income to the world. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS