cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upfront Option No Longer Available?

Kristin H Member Since: Jan 7, 2014
21 of 27
I recently completed a fixed price job that had the escrow feature. I don't think that's what o'desk is calling it exactly but it's basically what it is. It was just a small job but the funds were already set aside for me before I even started working. There was no indication that it would be an escrow situation until after the contract started. I wasn't worried about asking for an upfront payment in this case though because it was for one of my regular clients. I think that it worked out pretty well. I could see how you could be concerned about new clients though, particularly since I had no idea that the payment would be in escrow until after the contract started.
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
22 of 27
I was just hanging out, waiting to see how deep the hysteria on this thread was going to go. oDesk has already said they were doing away with the upfront option and that this system was going to take its place. My last contract with a repeat client had indicators that it was in effect, describing the total payment for the project as a milestone payment and such. If they tell us they are taking the option away, why are people so shocked when it goes? Smiley Tongueuzzled:
Kristin H Member Since: Jan 7, 2014
23 of 27
this is what I was thinking....
PRADEEP C Member Since: May 30, 2011
24 of 27
This usually happens if the client is not payment method verified.
Susan Seawolf H Member Since: Oct 2, 2013
25 of 27

Recently I accepted a contract for a small ($130.00) fixed-price job. BEFORE I accepted the contract, I let the client know that he would need to (1) fund the whole amount through escrow and (2) designate half ($65.00) to be released immediately as an upfront payment. (I didn't know what else to call it...) The client did both of these things. I got notification from Upwork of the whole escrow and the (upfront milestone) $65.00 being available as soon as I requested it, with my needing to say that the task that triggered the $65.00 payment had been completed.

I called the task "upfront payment as agreed by client" and requested the money.  It was released.

Don't know if this is the "right" way to handle this, but it seems with the rules and it worked.

Hope it works for you.

Cheers, Susan Seawolf Hayes

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
26 of 27

Good information but this thread is 1 1/2 years old when different rules were in place.

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
27 of 27

I Dont care if Upwork take away the fixed price option! I will aways ask the client for upfront payment on fixed price jobs! Period!

Upworks again taking away features we like and giving us what we dont want! Or just taking them away!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS