🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upgrading to Freelancer Plus?
Page options
philsykora
Community Member

Upgrading to Freelancer Plus?

Hey, everyone.

Does upgrading to Freelancer Plus increase the visibility of your profile when clients are searching for freelancers? I've been thinking about upgrading, but I still have quite a few connects left. I'm trying to get my JSS back above 90%, and it helps to get "invitations to interview" because I can actually follow up in the messages section.

Anyone care to share their experience with upgrading?

Thanks for any help.

14 REPLIES 14
florydev
Community Member

Phil S wrote:

Hey, everyone.

Does upgrading to Freelancer Plus increase the visibility of your profile when clients are searching for freelancers? I've been thinking about upgrading, but I still have quite a few connects left. I'm trying to get my JSS back above 90%, and it helps to get "invitations to interview" because I can actually follow up in the messages section.

Anyone care to share their experience with upgrading?

Thanks for any help.

No, FP+ means your profile will not go private if you have no earnings for 30 days.  However you can request that your profile be made public again here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003975967-Profile-Changed-to-Private-

A lot of people request it in this forum which makes me wonder if the button is broke or they don't know my friend Google.

Since you can do that it seems indefinitely then that particular feature of FP+ is a bit useless.  More and more I think my primary reason for keeping FP+ is laziness.

yitwail
Community Member

Phil, hate to be the purveyor of bad news, but clients are mostly restricted to 3 invitations per job, unless they upgrade their membership, so you'll probably get more mileage out of using the money you would spend on membership to buy additional connects. If you do buy connects, don't forget that you can only rollover 140 each month.

Thanks, John, and I agree, Petra. I was thinking they might add a little sparkle by your name to indicate your a "plus" member or something.

How do you guys feel about the change to .15c per connect, btw? It's kind of a great way to reduce spam, so I kind of like it, but on the other hand, I want free connects.

Phil S wrote:

...I was thinking they might add a little sparkle by your name to indicate your a "plus" member or something.

So far, in other contexts, we've got rockets, stars, and fires to show how hot we are by various criteria. Please don't give them any more ideas. Robot wink

undefined:

Phil S wrote:

...I was thinking they might add a little sparkle by your name to indicate your a "plus" member or something.

So far, in other contexts, we've got rockets, stars, and fires to show how hot we are by various criteria. Please don't give them any more ideas. Robot wink

Too late....

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Sponsored-Freelancer-Search-Ads-Test/td-p/591350

Richard W wrote:

undefined:

Phil S wrote:

Too late....

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Sponsored-Freelancer-Search-Ads-Test/td-p/591350

Sponsored? What fresh hell is this?

As a client, I would be puzzled to no end what "sponsored" means. Who is the sponsor? Why does the freelancer need sponsoring? Is it something like mentoring? Are these freelancers that get thrown a bone because nobody hires them? Who paid for all this?

Martina P wrote:

Richard W wrote:

undefined:

Phil S wrote:

Too late....

Sponsored? What fresh hell is this?

As a client, I would be puzzled to no end what "sponsored" means. Who is the sponsor? Why does the freelancer need sponsoring? Is it something like mentoring? Are these freelancers that get thrown a bone because nobody hires them? Who paid for all this?

Yes, it's weird. I think the usage can be traced back to sponsorship of US TV programmes. "And now for a word from our sponsor..." It was the programme that was sponsored, not the advertising. But Google subverted this by originally referring to its paid-for links as "sponsored links". (More recently it switched to calling them "Ads", which makes more sense.) Upwork seems to have picked up Google's old usage, and subverted the meaning even more, by applying it to advertisements that are not even specifically purchased by the freelancer: they're just a bonus benefit (if they are a benefit) of having Plus membership. Or maybe Upwork is planning eventually to make the ads work more like Google Ads, and freelancers will pay specifically for opportunities to appear when clients search for particular skills or key words! That would seem to follow the logic of Upwork's newfound zeal for monetising each of its services.

yitwail
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

No, FP+ means your profile will not go private if you have no earnings for 30 days.  However you can request that your profile be made public again here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003975967-Profile-Changed-to-Private-

A lot of people request it in this forum which makes me wonder if the button is broke or they don't know my friend Google.

Mark, Upwork doesn't help matters with a popup that urges the freelancer to start earning, upgrade membership, or contact customer support. It so happens the contact customer support link acts just like the button you mentioned but I guess it would be too transparent to change the link text to click here to reset your profile to public.

Phil S wrote:

Does upgrading to Freelancer Plus increase the visibility of your profile when clients are searching for freelancers?

Absolutely not, and it would be wrong on so many (any and all) levels if it did.

dzadza
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Phil S wrote:

Does upgrading to Freelancer Plus increase the visibility of your profile when clients are searching for freelancers?

Absolutely not, and it would be wrong on so many (any and all) levels if it did.

...so that will be a next great  idea to implement on UW...just wait...

Richard W wrote:
Or maybe Upwork is planning eventually to make the ads work more like Google Ads, and freelancers will pay specifically for opportunities to appear when clients search for particular skills or key words! That would seem to follow the logic of Upwork's newfound zeal for monetising each of its services.

So freelancers will pay to appear first? Since we are millions they will need to give the first place to the one who pays the most, there is only one first place, or there are only 1 first page. If they took that way I would believe Upwork is definitely falling of the cliff. So we are on the verge of seeing a new career here? SEO/SEM inside Upwork. Cat LOL

The freelancer Plus plan brings no benefits at all and I strongly encourage people to not buy it. You get more value by buying connects directly and the other perks that it offers are pretty much useless.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Petra R wrote:

Phil S wrote:

There was a post back in April when they were testing the idea of some freelancers being designated "sponsored" and the mod said: 

"To clarify, this test is NOT about highlighting proposals but about highlighting profiles in search. With this test the first three freelancers with a Freelancer Plus membership who appear in search results are highlighted as 'Sponsored.'"

So it sounds like Plus members WILL have an advantage over us Basic plebs, if this is being rolled out now (assuming that it does end up being an advantage).

Christine A wrote:

There was a post back in April when they were testing the idea of some freelancers being designated "sponsored" and the mod said: 

"To clarify, this test is NOT about highlighting proposals but about highlighting profiles in search. With this test the first three freelancers with a Freelancer Plus membership who appear in search results are highlighted as 'Sponsored.'"

So it sounds like Plus members WILL have an advantage over us Basic plebs, if this is being rolled out now (assuming that it does end up being an advantage).

Neat. Finally all those years paying for premium and the time has come for me to be king of search. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths