Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
22 Posts

Upping Rates/Leaving Clients

Hi guys!

I suppose I am just here to make myself feel better. I started here about one month ago with low-paying projects but I am working my way up slowly. Is it okay to tell an on-going client that I can no longer work for them?

The work on most jobs is extensive and I put in at least 2 hours each time for $10-15 usually. Sometimes it can be up to 3 -4 hours depending on how much work the product needs.

I just feel bad about leaving an early client but I really need to focus on my clients who are willing to pay for my time. Especially when they have 2-3 projects per week they want me to work on. I'd love feedback from anyone who has gone through this.

Thanks!
Ace Contributor
30 Posts

Re: Upping Rates/Leaving Clients

Yes! I have gone through this. 

One of the very important step to take care of in freelancing is to know when and how to increase the rates. You won't get regular good quality work while doing jobs for a few dollars. 

When I increased my rates, it happened as well and to say no to my clients was a hard thing to do; since they once supported my newly budding career on Upwork. 

I'm not sure what profession are you in, but what I did back then(being a Graphic Designer) was to request each one of them to open a LONG TERM Hourly or Fixed Price contract. They would keep putting milestones and I could happily work for them. In this way, the small amounts won't show on your profile and you can work on it to eventually make it large. 

However, if it's a time issue, I would suggest saying no to them or perhaps request them to postpone the work(only if possible)

Hope it could be of some help

Thanks 
Zoha

Power Member
15 Posts

There is nothing wrong in saying 'goodbye' to an old clients. Just write them a nice explanation stating that you loved to work for them but now you are not being able to work for them for the old price as the amount of work needed is not in line with the payment provided and ask them are they ok to up your rates.

Some of these clients will probably just find another freelancer to work for a small amount of money as soon as you tell them that you are upping your rates. This is business and unfortunately there are no emotions in business.  remember that if your clients got a better oportunity to hire someone that would do more work for them for less money than you they would probably immediatley dump you as well. The same goes when people are afraid of quiting the job they dont love because they feel obligated somehow to the company. that same company wouldnt blink twice to fire them in case company got in a financial trouble.

Community Leader
121 Posts

I had the same problem when I just started out here, and this was related to time, not money. I at one point had way too many clients, and I had to let some go, and of course the ones I wanted to let go was the low paying jobs that I had. Keeping them all wouldn't be an option no matter if they all met my new rates, so I didn't even ask for that.

However I didn't want to end it in bad terms, spesially since these were the clients that got me started here. So I gave them all a 1 months notice. I told them that I had to end the contracts, but that I would be happy to help them out until they could find someone to replace me. All of the clients appreciated this, and some took advantage of my offer, and others let me go almost instantly. The point for me was mostly to not just leave them before they could make other arrangements. I worked 60 hours a week that month, just to keep up with it all, but in the end they all gave me a good feedback (public at least).

So I think that as long as you do it in a nice and professional way, clients are mostly ok with you ending the contract. 

Ace Contributor
22 Posts

I thought my message to them was great and they agreed to not assign any more projects, but not even a day later I got a message for more assignments. Do you have any tips? I told them "as mentioned before...but I will do these ones", but how do I be more firm after?

Community Guru
11,226 Posts

Since you're new and you have to watch jss, I'd give them a headsup and lie and tell them you're going away or you need to do something or other and you need to close the contract and when you come back it can resume. Then just never contact them again. I wouldn't tell them  you're bailing just because they aren't paying you enough.

Ace Contributor
22 Posts

Hi Jennifer,

My only concern with this is that it seems "sneaky". Won't they see that I am online if I search/bid for other jobs?

Community Guru
11,226 Posts

lol they can't see you bid. Nobody can see anyone's bids.

Community Guru
4,271 Posts

Jennifer M wrote:

lol they can't see you bid. Nobody can see anyone's bids.

They can, however, see your profile. If they go to check and see whether she's available yet, they'll clearly see that she's been taking on new contracts in the time she was allegedly away.

There's really no upside to lying. Most clients are not going to downgrade a freelancer for being busy or raising rates, as long as it is done professionally and you don't leave them hanging by quitting abruptly.

Community Guru
11,226 Posts

Tiffany S wrote:

They can, however, see your profile. If they go to check and see whether she's available yet, they'll clearly see that she's been taking on new contracts in the time she was allegedly away.

There's really no upside to lying. Most clients are not going to downgrade a freelancer for being busy or raising rates, as long as it is done professionally and you don't leave them hanging by quitting abruptly.

yeah but by that time the contract is closed, so they can suck it