🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Account Stolen
Page options
antonio420dev
Community Member

Upwork Account Stolen

Hello!

I'm writing this to tell you what happened to my friend's Upwork account.

His name is "**Edited for community guidelines**" and he used "**Edited for community guidelines**" as his account's primary email.

A few months ago, a guy, who introduced himself as a Chinese web developer, contacted Juan and offered him a "business contract" in which he should lend his Upwork account for some monthly payment.

As Juan was not actively using his Upwork account at that time, he decided to accept the guy's offer.

The "business" seemed to be working for a few months, but just a few weeks ago, the Chinese guy suddenly changed all info of the Upwork account as well as its email.

So, Juan doesn't have access to neither of them and he's struggling to regain his ownership over his OWN account.

Can you please help Juan with his issue?

Juan now sincerely regrets all his irregular activities and really hopes to restart his career on Upwork.

Hopefully you can give him some advices on how he should move forward from now on.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best.

21 REPLIES 21
shamin07031
Community Member

You need to contact with upwork support and also keep all the documents in hand.

Yeah, I also tried to do that, but it didn't seem to allow me to create new requests on Upwork Help Center.

And of course, I do have all the required documents to prove my ownership.

Thanks, Juan

Antonio L wrote:

Yeah, I also tried to do that, but it didn't seem to allow me to create new requests on Upwork Help Center.

Thanks, Juan

Lol these guys 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Antonio L wrote:

Thanks, Juan

Lol these guys 🙂

He was just asking for a friend!

May I suggest the "friend" writes a book about his case, titled: "The audacity of hope - that upwork never finds out I sold my account" 

Who knows, it might become a bestseller. The title is captivating, it sort of reminds me of something. 

Antonio L wrote:

Thanks, Juan

But aren't you Antonio?
I'm making a mess with these guys ....

I mean, you gotta admire the boldness. 

petra_r
Community Member

Antonio L wrote:

A few months ago, a guy, who introduced himself as a Chinese web developer, contacted Juan and offered him a "business contract" in which he should lend his Upwork account for some monthly payment.

As Juan was not actively using his Upwork account at that time, he decided to accept the guy's offer.

So, Juan doesn't have access to neither of them and he's struggling to regain his ownership over his OWN account.

Can you please help Juan with his issue?

Even if Upwork kicks out the interloper, your friend's account will be suspended anyway for violating the terms of services.

I undrestand your point and I agree with you. So, basically I would like to restart my Upwork career if possible.

re: "So, basically I would like to restart my Upwork career if possible."

There are many competing freelance work platforms where you may restart your online freelancing career.

lysis10
Community Member

The ToS violation giveth and the banhammer taketh away.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Antonio,

Please note that it's a serious violation of Upwork ToS to share login credentials with anybody and log into another user's account.

Unfortunately, we cannot discuss anything about the suspension of your friend's account here in the community or to another individual, for privacy reasons, which we hope you understand.

I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling this case.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Unfortunately, we cannot discuss anything about the suspension of your friend's account

It's not his friend's account. It's one of his other fake accounts.

https://www.upwork.com/ab/profiles/search/?q=%22Here%20is%20for%20the%20picky%20ones%20who%20require...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I have no first-hand knowledge about the original poster or his situation, and I have no comment about him. Below are some general observations that are not about any specific individual or situation:

If an Upwork freelancer sold his account to somebody else (whether that "someone else" is a "Chinese developer" or somebody claiming to be a Chinese developer, or anyone else)...

...why would they say that account was "stolen"?

Don't most people know the difference between "sold" and "stolen"?

If an Upwork freelancer was creating fake accounts and selling them or renting them out to other people (Chinese or otherwise), one almost has to admire the chutzpah exhibited in asking Upwork to help straighten out the situation and help recover the "stolen" profile. (I say "almost.")

In practice, if there were such a person, I imagine that all of the accounts he created - the fake account(s) he created which he wanted to recover - and the "real" account he used to ask about those accounts ("on behalf of a friend") - would be kicked off of the platform.

I never sold it to anybody. I just lent it to him.

Antonio L wrote:

I never sold it to anybody. I just lent it to him.

"Lent" or rented? (Not that it makes a difference?) And what is it? "You" or "your "friend?" How's the weather in Ireland?

And all the other fakes? 

re: "I never sold it to anybody. I just lent it to him."

I specifically said I wasn't talking about you.

Rene K wrote:

Bojan S wrote:

Unfortunately, we cannot discuss anything about the suspension of your friend's account

It's not his friend's account. It's one of his other fake accounts.

How to get a Rising Talent Badge

Oh and how absolutely daaaaaaaaarling.

Look at all those bright shiny Rising Talent badges.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the flag, Rene. The team is reviewing these accounts already.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Yes, and the photo is of one Felix Effenberger Man Wink

joynul33
Community Member

I heard this type of question for the first time here.

Joynul
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

All,

I'll be closing this thread from further replies as we can't discuss the status of specific accounts here in the Community. 

Rest assured that we are having all profiles flagged on this thread reviewed and action taken. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members