🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Account Violation
Page options
1e2956d1
Community Member

Upwork Account Violation

Hello, I got a mail regarding Upwork Account Violation. It says that sharing my personal information before the contract starts is a violation, But I need to see the videos that I  am working with before the contract starts and have to share my mail id. And sometimes the client wants to talk on call instead of zoom. So, how can I work around that?

As of now it  says that nothing is happening to my account.

2 REPLIES 2
hglewis
Community Member

Hello Anukriti!

Anukriti K wrote:

Hello, I got a mail regarding Upwork Account Violation. It says that sharing my personal information before the contract starts is a violation, But I need to see the videos that I  am working with before the contract starts and have to share my mail id. And sometimes the client wants to talk on call instead of zoom. So, how can I work around that?

As of now it  says that nothing is happening to my account.

Please, note that communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is in place is against Upwork's Terms of Service. After you're hired, you are free to use Zoom, Skype, and other methods when communicating. 

When the client wants to talk to you first or do anything associated with the job, advise your client, you'll be more than happy to help, but they must first set up and initiate the contract. If they are unwilling to do that, thank them and let them know you are prohibited from moving forward due to Upwork's requirements. 

Also, NEVER, EVER share your mail ID with a client before a contract is in place. And honestly, there is no reason a client needs your mailing or email address. 

petra_r
Community Member

You are allowed to share your email address if it is needed to access something for scoping purposes or to access something. You are not allowed to communicate via email. So if you share your email address because it is needed to access something, you must do so with a note that you are sharing it only for the purpose of access, and that all communication will stay on Upwork.

As far as calls are concerned, they need to stay on Upwork. You can do calls on Upwork, and Zoom calls.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members