🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork Bank?
Page options
j_muiruri
Community Member

Upwork Bank?

So upwork can hold such amount of cash? Can I use upwok as bank account or how long can upwork hold the cash?Screenshot_2.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Joseph G wrote:

So upwork can hold such amount of cash? Can I use upwok as bank account or how long can upwork hold the cash?Screenshot_2.jpg

You have nearly a million dollars in your account and have never withdrawn it? Why?

I suspect that is local currency ..not American dollars

Miriam H wrote:
I suspect that is local currency ..not American dollars

I didn't know that there was an option to use anything other than American dollars on Upwork.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Crikey, I'm in the wrong business.

I'd be freelancing from an island somewhere with that in my account.
tlsanders
Community Member

I believe the limit is 180 days. 

The limit is 180 days and that (screenshot) is not real.

The OP has only made $ 27k since 2011

Petra R wrote:

Well, yes. Sometimes I just like to put my accusations in the form of a question.

So my next "question" is, why would someone want Upwork to hold their money indefinitely? 

Christine, there are a bunch of reasons. Tax evasion, avoiding creditors, not being able to open a bank account for some reason (sometimes related to something like the above, but sometimes simply because they don't have the right documents). 

Tiffany S wrote:

Christine, there are a bunch of reasons. Tax evasion, avoiding creditors, not being able to open a bank account for some reason (sometimes related to something like the above, but sometimes simply because they don't have the right documents). 

But for reasons of tax evasion or avoiding creditors, why produce a screen capture that makes it look as though you have loads more money in your account than you possibly could have earned? I am well and truly interested. For learning purposes, obviously.

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Well, yes. Sometimes I just like to put my accusations in the form of a question.

Ah yes, despite 20+ years in the UK I never quite learned the sublimely subtle approach. I'm more bull in china shop.

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Ah yes, despite 20+ years in the UK I never quite learned the sublimely subtle approach. I'm more bull in china shop.

Oh, really? 😄

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Oh, really? 😄

I hide it well, don't I...

Petra R wrote:

Oh, really? 😄

I hide it well, don't I...

Do you? (I could go on like this all day...)

This is a funny thread, and that was an entertaining screenshot.

Kudos for the fake-out "near-million dollars" Upwork balance.

In the real world, I don't believe that ANYONE who is ACTUALLY capable of earning nearly a million dollars here would actually leave it in their Upwork account. Because they would be smart enough to know that Upwork is not a bank, and that the money could disappear at any time.

Preston H wrote:

Because they would be smart enough to know that Upwork is not a bank, and that the money could disappear at any time.

It could? Do you know something we don't know?

re: "It could? Do you know something we don't know?"

There are plenty of stories in the Forum detailing such incidents.

Users have had their financial accounts locked and even had their money confiscated due to Upwork detecting irregularities with their accounts, or even with the financial accounts of clients they are dealing with.

Users have reported having their money taken by people who have hacked into their accounts and added new payment withdrawal methods. Sometimes users have indicated that other people (such as a family member or fellow agency member) had access to their computer. Sometimes they have professed complete unawareness of who could have done such a thing.

Users have left money in their Upwork accounts too long and been surprised when that money was returned to its funding source, because they weren't aware of the time limit that Upwork follows regarding how long they can hold funds.

Users have seen Upwork remove money from their accounts due to refunds and credit card chargebacks.

Users have been less than diligent about handling their own accounts and have seen Upwork trigger withdrawals automatically because the account balance exceeded a certain amount, only to see that number be sent to withdrawal accounts (PayPal, bank accounts, Skrill, Payonneer, etc.) that the user no longer has access to.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths