Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upwork Connects Calculation doesn't work

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 25

MD. Atiqur R wrote:

How easy it is to say like this! Someone is expressing his frustation and you are kinda making fun out of it! Interesting!

I'm not making fun out of it. I'm completely serious. The assignment of differing numbers of connects does not appear to work well, and it seems to be a source of constant frustration and confusion for many freelancers. It's bad for everyone. Standardization is the simplest, clearest, and most easily implemented solution. 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
12 of 25

MD. Atiqur R wrote:

How easy it is to say like this! Someone is expressing his frustation and you are kinda making fun out of it! Interesting!

It's not clear whom you're addressing but if it's me: I'm not making fun of you at all. I agree completely that the method they are using to assign connect cost to job post is not working well at all. Because there is no feasible way to ensure clients do a good job of scoping their projects when they write the posts, I agree with Tiffany that UW should just make all bids cost six connects (or four, or ten, or whatever--just stop making it feel like a crap shoot). Until they do, we should all assume that every bid will cost six connects and when we find one that is less, consider that a little good luck. Instead of hoping every one will cost two connects and considering it bad luck when they cost more. 

A key element in my business plan is to look for ways to reduce my own frustration. Choosing how to think about things I cannot control, and finding ways to adapt, always serves me well.

Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
13 of 25
Phyllis wrote:

MD. Atiqur R wrote:

It's not clear whom you're addressing but if it's me: I'm not making fun of you at all. I agree completely that the method they are using to assign connect cost to job post is not working well at all. Because there is no feasible way to ensure clients do a good job of scoping their projects when they write the posts, I agree with Tiffany that UW should just make all bids cost six connects (or four, or ten, or whatever--just stop making it feel like a crap shoot). Until they do, we should all assume that every bid will cost six connects and when we find one that is less, consider that a little good luck. Instead of hoping every one will cost two connects and considering it bad luck when they cost more. 

A key element in my business plan is to look for ways to reduce my own frustration. Choosing how to think about things I cannot control, and finding ways to adapt, always serves me well.

I only have one way of choosing how to deal with things I can't control, I don't think about them.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
14 of 25

Hi Everyone,

A few posts and replies on this thread have been removed as they were in violation of Community Guidelines. Please be mindful of the Community Guidelines and be respectful of each other when posting. Thank you. 

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
15 of 25

Joanne, why is my user name displaying in posts above, where other posters are quoting my comment?!?!

Please refer this to whomever can fix it! Thank you.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
16 of 25

Hi Phyllis,

Please note that this happens when comments are quoted in a certain way. I updated that part of the quote but would like to link an explanation we shared a while back on a thread which discussed this occurrence.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 25

Vladimir G wrote:

I updated that part of the quote but would like to link an explanation we shared a while back.

... and forgets to link Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 25
Petra R wrote:

Vladimir G wrote:

I updated that part of the quote but would like to link an explanation we shared a while back.

... and forgets to link Smiley Wink

Well, he did say he "would like to link." Smiley Wink

Joe M Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
19 of 25

Upwork needs to do a better job educating the CLIENT on job postings.  Many clients do not realize it costs us money to respond to speculative postings, poorly described jobs that have potential, etc.  Sure, I and many others do not write proposals to these jobs, but POTENTIAL PAYING CLIENTS walk away wondering why there are not getting any good responses.  They walk away with a very poor opinion of UpWork, frustrated with an awkward JOB POSTING form and zero help in making a proper job description.

I like the THUMBS DOWN thing on the postings, but there should be better categories, like POOR JOB DESCRIPTION and REQUIRES TOO MANY CONNECTS.  Most of the categories are, for lack of a better term, stuipid.  I"M OVER QUALIFIED?  Client doesn't care.  NOT IN MY PREFERED LOCATION?  Client doesn't care.  JOB POSTED TOO LONG AGO?  TOO MANY APPLICANTS?  Come on.  I love that it "grey's out" the job when I pick something so I don't have to see it again, but these thumbs down should provide feedback to the client that their posting sucks and suggest changes and improvements.

Joe M Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
20 of 25

Oh, and why have a BOLD button when it doesn't actually make words in the post BOLD?

Here is bold.  This shows up nice in the editor, but in the posting it is very hard to tell that it's BOLD.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS