🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Connects
Page options
hasnithedesigner
Community Member

Upwork Connects

I registered on upwork a month and a half ago? at that time I got only 20 connects. But now I have come to know that upwork is giving 120 free connects to new members. I just can't afford to buy connects. What should i do to get those 120 free connect?

11 REPLIES 11
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ali,

We do, on occasion, give out free Connects so we can test and improve our marketplace. If you become eligible for free Connects, we will let you know!

If you feel like you need more Connects to send more proposals, feel free to purchase more. This can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. If you aren’t able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don’t have an Upwork balance, in many cases you’ll be able to use PayPal. Check the options available to you and learn more about acceptable billing methods.

You may be interested to hear about a change that's coming in December in which we're upgrading Connects to give you free monthly allotment and bonus Connects for interviews that you win. You can check out this Community thread for the official announcement.

I would also suggest checking out the Freelancing Resources board where you can find plenty of articles that can help you boost your Upwork career.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Ali H wrote:

I registered on upwork a month and a half ago? at that time I got only 20 connects. But now I have come to know that upwork is giving 120 free connects to new members. I just can't afford to buy connects. What should i do to get those 120 free connect?

Yeah, I'd be pretty annoyed if I had just joined and missed out on the 80 freebies (and it IS 80, not 120). But don't be tempted to start a new account, or you'll just get banned. Have you taken the readiness test yet? You can get 40 more connects for passing (although you should clarify exactly when that starts - I don't think it's happening yet).

You should also do some work on your profile overview, since it's too short and general. Saying "I can create any kind of graphics", in addition to being untrue, has the effect of making you sound like you're not an expert at anything. Figure out what you do best and only apply to those types of jobs, and only if you can back it up with at least 3-4 portfolio pieces showing that exact type of work. Then you'd be able to get more projects while placing fewer bids.

Christine A wrote:

Yeah, I'd be pretty annoyed if I had just joined and missed out on the 80 freebies (and it is 80, not 120). But don't be tempted to start a new account, or you'll just get banned. Have you taken the readiness test yet? You can get 40 more connects for passing.

It's 40 for being new and 80  40 (I looked at the wrong bit) for passing the test.

Which makes 120 80 - but in December.

Petra R wrote:

It's 40 for being new and 80 for passing the test.

Which makes 120 - but in December.

My bad. But I looked it up again - it's actually 40 for being new and 40 for passing the test. 

I assume that I can get 40 freebies as well, if I take the readiness test? I've never taken it before. 😉

It's okay and thanks a lot. So kind of you to help me out.☺️

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

My bad. But I looked it up again - it's actually 40 for being new and 40 for passing the test. 

I assume that I can get 40 freebies as well, if I take the readiness test? I've never taken it before. 😉

Me too. But what happens if you fail the readiness test (not that that's likely)?

Anyway, under the new system I'll probably never need to buy connects. 😀

Richard W wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Me too. But what happens if you fail the readiness test (not that that's likely)?

Anyway, under the new system I'll probably never need to buy connects. 😀

They should take away 40 connects if you fail. Make the noobs really sweat it out.

Thank you Petra 🥰

Thank you so much and very kind of you to give such a valuable information.
I definitely need to work on my profile. And sure I'm ready to give the
readiness test that You've told me. Thank you so much. Will you please let
me know when this readiness test rewarding 40 connects is available? Will
be very kind of you ☺️
kinector
Community Member

Ali, to build any kind of business, there must be an investment.

Regardless of the platform, there is always an investment.

Most people seem to think they just keep doing things i.e. spending huge amounts of time and there will be a buyer eventually.

Some take the shortcut, pay in cash, and their business is profitable from the early days on. It does require some savings, of course, but paying is almost always a faster way to get things going on a productive path.

Thank You so much Mikko R I have understood your view about inversting into the business. I really look forward to getting on to business ASAP. Thanks again for your valuable thought.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths