🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork Desktop App not loading on Mac
Page options
chris369
Community Member

Upwork Desktop App not loading on Mac

Hi

I am currently unable to fully open the Upwork desktop app. When I launch the app I see the initial splash screen (with version number etc) and then I get to four more screens I can scroll through (essentially "how to use this app"), and then I get nothing.

Normally it would take me to instant messenger and time logger.

I have restarted & shutdown my computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Still nothing.

It works fine on another person's computer but not mine for some reason. It has been working absolutely fine for the last few weeks and I'm not aware of any changes that might have affected it - just stopped loading when I went to use it today.

Any suggestions?

73 REPLIES 73
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chris,

Could you please try Troubleshooting tips shared in this help article?  If the issue persists, please report it following ''How do I report a problem?'' section of the previously shared Troubleshooting guide, and our team will assist you directly.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi, 

Mine is kind of the same. It will download but only shows me an image that says i should go to the applications folder. So I did but then it doesnt do anything. 

I have attached the screenshot of what happens after I download it. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Zwhynny,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with the Desktop app. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks! Where should I expect the response? Here or from my email? Thank you again!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zwhynny,

A member of the team has reached out to you already and is awaiting your response. If you aren't able to see the email you should also be able to access the ticket directly here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello,

I am having this same issue. Can someone reach out to help me get this resolved?

Thanks!
Megan
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Megan,

Could you, please refer to this help article for troubleshooting tips and let us know if you still experience issues after applying them? 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, I'm currently having the same issue. dowloaded the upwork timer on my mac but it is showing as a picture

Hi Ayodele,

Thank you for reaching out. Could you please try reinstalling the desktop by following the steps listed here? Let us know if the issue persists.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Zwhynny, how did you make it work? I am having the same issue right now..

Hi Patrisha Marie,

Could you, please refer to this help article for troubleshooting tips and let us know if you still experience issues after applying them? Please try performing steps from the "How to completely delete the Upwork Desktop App's cache" section.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
lagdameo
Community Member

Hi Bojan, 

My upwork tracker wont work. Tried all the troubleshooting steps as per upwork FAQS but still cant log in. I even updated my OS to Monterey 12.2 but still wont work. Pls check on this. I was not able to track and work for a day already. 

I just keep clicking on next as per my screenshot but it wont take me to the log in tab.

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for your message. Could you please continue clicking 'Next' on the pop-up window seen in the screenshot? If you still do not see the time tracker, please right-click on the Upwork Desktop App on your taskbar and depending on your OS, you should have an option to click 'Upwork' or 'Open time tracker' as seen here. Feel free to message us if problems persist.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

I have the same issue. No issue with download but the app does not open at all. Initial screen is loading then nothing. Please assist this is really bad.

d3c5df76
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

I am having the same issue as Zwhynny A., explained above.

I have a Macbook. The download of the desktop app was successful. I followed the steps as they were explained on this pagehttps://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211064088-Install-the-Desktop-App

But when I click on the app nothing happens. As if it is an image. It is not clickable.

I have to start working ASAP, because I have got an hourly job & started the contract today. 

Please help me resolve this immediately. 

I wanted to email the support, but I know it will be late until they respond.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Shiva

Hi Shiva,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and the trouble installing your Desktop app. I'll have one of the support team members assist you further via a support ticket. You can access your ticket on this page once it's ready.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d3c5df76
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Thank you for your help!

Sure, I look forward to their response.

Regards,

Shiva

I'm facing the same issue, 

It will download but only shows me an image that says i should go to the applications folder. So I did but then it doesnt do anything. 

I have attached the screenshot of what happens after I download it. Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 9.38.36 PM.png

roshnikhanna
Community Member

Hey!

I am facing the exact same issue and was looking for a solutions.. Anyone found it? It started happenning suddenly on my Mac. 

I am on OS Catiliana. 

Hi Roshni,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I shared your issue with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi There!

I am facing the exact same issue, could you help me to solve this problem?

regards

Attila

Hi Attila,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi There!

From yesterday I couldn't use the mac desktop app. There is an open ticket for that but I didn't get any answer after the first "provide some logs request". 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Upwork-Desktop-App-not-loading-on-Mac/m-p/721190#M439274

It's very annoying, I can't work because of this 😞

Hi Attila,

I understand your frustration with this and would like to confirm that our engineering team is working on resolving this as soon as possible.
One of our team members will update your ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

it could be less frustrating if I got any updates on the ticket. Thx for your quick reply, it's better now and waiting for the solution! 

Hi, 

I'm experiencing this issue. I don't have Google accounts associated with Upwork. It's the exact same - only shows the splash onboarding screens and then nothing. 

Can I please get some assistance? 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jonathan,

Could you please share a screenshot from the desktop app with the error you`re receiving on your end? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

It's not opening - so not sure how i could share that.  But I can see in the logs it's something to do with communicating with the server? 

[2020-05-21T09:39:17.446] [ERROR] dash - Error loading stories: {}
[2020-05-21T09:39:17.447] [ERROR] dash - Newer stories not loaded. Error: [object Object]
[2020-05-21T09:39:17.447] [ERROR] dash - Error loading missing stories: [object Object]
[2020-05-21T09:39:17.632] [WARN] dash - failed to fetch rooms using web api: {}
[2020-05-21T09:39:17.634] [WARN] dash - failed to fetch rooms using web api: {}
[2020-05-21T09:39:17.637] [INFO] dash - Failed to connect via Websocket. Downgrading to none and resending
[2020-05-21T09:39:17.637] [WARN] dash - Websocket closed, reason: Connection was closed abnormally (that is, with no close frame being sent). - wasClean: false

'Sorry, but there was an issue communicating with the server.',
    type: 'timeout' } ]  

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for the follow up, Jonathan. 

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with the desktop app. 

~ Goran
Upwork

Is the above issue relsolved? as I'm still getiing the same issue. In my case app initialising then killing itself, even I'm not able to see the swipe screen that apears after the launch.

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Having this issue when trying to sign in using Upwork app on mac. OS: Catalina.

Hi Fahim,

Please go to Settings > Connected Services > and disconnect your Google account. Once you`ve done this try to log in to the desktop app. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I got similar error as Fahim R.  Goran V, much thanks your suggestion it solved my problem.  Thanks again.

Im having the same issue, could you help me to solve this problem?

Hi Rose,

Could you please try the troubleshooting steps in this help article and let us know if the issue persists?

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi. I have the same issue with my mac. i tried to follow the instruction for error but i dont have the option download from "anywhere". I only have download from appstore and identified developer.  

Hi Dannivie,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
catapoderado
Community Member

I'm having the same issue now. 😞

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths