🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork Exchange Rates
Page options
chitras07
Community Member

Upwork Exchange Rates

I have some earnings in my Upwork account and I need to transfer the amount to my local bank in INR. The current exchange rate is showing 72.7400 in my reports section.

But as I can see the current USD to INR exchange rate is 74.46. And if the Upwork support says that the Ban exchange rate differs from the market rate. My Bank's exchange rate is showing 74.05 up to $10,000.

Someone, please clarify this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Chitra S wrote:

But as I can see the current USD to INR exchange rate is 74.46. And if the Upwork support says that the Ban exchange rate differs from the market rate. My Bank's exchange rate is showing 74.05 up to $10,000.

Banks, not being charities, charge customers for internationally sending and receiving money and for exchanging currencies. That is why there is a difference between the Interbank rate or even your bank's rate. It's not as if you are going into the branch with a handful of Dollars...  The money is sent all the way from America.

If you don't like the exchange rate for "direct to local bank" you can send Dollars to a Dollar account via wire transfer (which costs $30, and isn't worth it for withdrawals under about $700 or so) or use another withdrawal method.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Chitra,

Difference in exchange rates is not something Upwork can control. When a bank converts a transaction, they will mark up the interbank rate to buy or sell a currency. Online calculators will not take into consideration the mark up that is applied. Since rates constantly change throughout any given day, the rate you received is the rate offered by our bank at the time your specific transaction was processed. To learn more about this, check out this Help Article. To learn more about our available payment methods, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran for the help. 🙂

petra_r
Community Member

Chitra S wrote:

Banks, not being charities, charge customers for internationally sending and receiving money and for exchanging currencies. That is why there is a difference between the Interbank rate or even your bank's rate. It's not as if you are going into the branch with a handful of Dollars...  The money is sent all the way from America.

If you don't like the exchange rate for "direct to local bank" you can send Dollars to a Dollar account via wire transfer (which costs $30, and isn't worth it for withdrawals under about $700 or so) or use another withdrawal method.

Thanks, Petra for the help. 🙂

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members