🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork JSS dropped from 92% to 26% in abo...
Page options
burns_demetrius
Community Member

Upwork JSS dropped from 92% to 26% in about a month. Help!

Hello!

As the subject suggests, my JSS took a precipitous drop in the last few months. I have completed 7 projects in total. I would love for someone to help explain this to me. Here's my profile. https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f3f55d651ed06b5b?viewMode=1

I haven't heard of someone's profile dropping so quickly. All of my feedback is pretty positive in general. Not sure what happened. 

10 REPLIES 10
a_lipsey
Community Member

Hi Demetrius,

You have only 4 contracts with feedback so those are the only ones that count toward your JSS. Of those, one is 3.65 stars and another is 4.6 stars. But this doesn't actually contribute to your JSS. The client leaves private feedback which is what affects your JSS. We can assume on those two contracts you had poor private feedback. But what's likely killing your score is that your most recently closed contract is VERY large and it's likely they left poor private feedback despite leaving positive public feedback. It's really the only way you're getting such a low score. 

Hi! Thank you for the feedback. My old client swears that his private feedback was good as well. We ended things on good terms. Is there anything he could do after the fact? Sorry if this is a stupid question. 

I don't want to ask him or clarify until I know for sure that the drop from 92 to 26 is largely  because of his feedback. 

I can't guarantee it but just based on the contract size, contracts are weighted in the JSS by size. The private feedback question is "would you recommend this freelancer" on a scale of 1-10. It's based on the net promoter score. My understanding is that anything less than a 7 is a negative. But there's also nothing you can do about it. Private feedback can't be changed. Your best bet is to do really well with your open contracts and get great feedback. The good thing is you have current open contracts that you can do that with still. 

burns_demetrius
Community Member

I just can't understand dropping 70 points based on that one contract--despite it being huge. Oof. I do have open contracts. That's true. I just don't know the best way to secure new contracts going forward. Do you think it would be best to qualify the 26% score on my bio?

deardipu
Community Member

Demetrius,

-Private feedback matters. 

-Contract earning matters as weight factor. 

As you said it was 92% (I have assumed that it was between 15th May and 29th May).

So now think which contract was closed within that time period, that's contract internal feedback was low.

raina5
Community Member

I just looked at your profile and I wonder if it's possible that the client got the numbers mixed up. I've seen Google or Yelp reviews where someone gives something 1 star and leaves a glowing review. It is so easy to mistakenly press the wrong button on Upwork feedback and if they were rushed or distracted I can easily see how that can happen. Can Upwork look into this in any way?..

Hi! That's what I was thinking, too. I hope this is the case. It has seriously messed things up for me. 

I do think it could be something like that. It could also be that they didn't think it had anything to do with you. For example, I was once asked that question in a survey for a service, "would I recommend?" But I didn't know anyone else who needed that service, and because of the way my brain works, I take questions and instructions very literally. So I probably rated someone poorly that I didn't mean to because for those of us who are neurodivergent, that question isn't as clear as it should be. It's just another way companies, like Upwork, don't consider accessibility when designing things like surveys or those feedback questions. But JSS is here to stay the way it is regardless, so we just have to get over it and get used to it!

I was thinking about this some more, and it seems extremely unlikely that that client would have employed you for all that time and through all those earnings only to "reveal" at the end, through private feedback that they actually were extremely unhappy with your work? That makes no sense. If they were so unhappy with you they would have terminated the working arrangement long ago. I think Upwork needs to look at this, I hope they will.

magreth
Community Member

It's likely that client with the +41K job gave you negative private feedback. Your other contracts add up almost a quarter of that job. I dont advise relying on 1 client for most of your income because of the effect on your JSS.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths