cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Marketplace Quality Team abuse of power? Story of a disappointed oDesker with Upwork.

Highlighted
Long T Member Since: May 9, 2015
1 of 9

After 5 years happily working with oDesk, after it changed to Upwork, ugly things are escalating.

First the sudden change to Upwork. I hate it, but ok, I don't want to bother with it.

So, I verified my ID, phone number a very long time ago with oDesk, it even stored my legal name, everything is working fine, oDesk accepted. I have worked for about 6000 hours.

Then yesterday I suddenly got an email said: "Congratulations! Your identification has been reviewed and accepted.". OK, fine.

Then today I got an email:

"Account flagged for policy violation"

"We’re writing to let you know that your profile name doesn’t adhere to our Identity and Contractor Profiles policy."

"As a result, we have set your profile to Private and removed your ability to apply to jobs until you make the necessary changes."

"Please revise your profile to include your real name."

What???

Issue here:

1. They accepted before, they accepted yesterday, and today I violated their policy without doing anything.
  2. Without advise me or suggest anything, they just set my profile to Private and removed my ability to apply to jobs? What kind of behavior is this? They treat me like a scam despite all the money they got from me (10%).
  3. I have already included real name, my display name is "Long aka Teefan Tran". Long is my first name, Tran is my last name, Teefan is my English name to talk with clients. And yet they told me to inlcude my real name? What else to include? All of my clients are perfectly fine with that, just not them.
  4. Why not just use my legal name if they don't like my display name?

So, got frustrated with their self-judgments, non-asking-just-doing behavior, I asked to delete my account. They said:

"Closing of account is now self service. You can close your account here: [profile link]. Just click close your account link and give a reason then submit."

So they don't even do that for me or help me to process with it (with my reviewing/pending balance). Then I try to close my account, and Upwork return with message: **edited for Community Guidelines**

That means I have to contact support again, right? And yet they told me it's a SELF-SERVICE.

Waiting for their response on the deletion process, so tired of incompetence Upwork "Trust & Safety" and "Marketplace Quality" team. Hope this only happens to me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
2 of 9

Regarding the email that said: "Congratulations! Your identification has been reviewed and accepted," I received one a few days ago, and I had my ID verified in 2010 when it was an option for freelancers.  I contacted support on the core site, and they said it was due to a "known error" and to ignore it.

Regarding the rest of your post, I have no clue. Except long ago the account name on my bank account (Ronald) differed with that on my oDesk (now Upwork) account (Ron), and I received a similar request to correct it. In your case, maybe the "aka" part is causing some confusion; similar to those with lengthy, more complex, or two-part first or last names.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 9

I agree. The AKA is the problem. I'd remove that immediately and tell them to reopen your account.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 9
Its hard to lose 5 years of your career regardless of the reason Long. I understand that this is the straw that broke the camel's back, but exercise a little more patience for your sake.

The problem seems not to be making the change, but the "do what I say attitude" from the Upwork Team. However I also would urge you to bear another straw.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Long T Member Since: May 9, 2015
5 of 9

Teefan is kind of my signature/familiar/internet name. How should I include it beside 'aka'? Or just forget it?

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 11.14.47 PM.png

Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
6 of 9

I would let your clients know your "nickname" when you correspond with them. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
7 of 9
Yes, Julie has a good suggestion. But remove it from your "Name" as Jean suggested. Any "aka" will be an issue.

You can always put it in your profile description if it is very important to get it out there.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
8 of 9

I second what Ron said. I also received an email that my ID has been verified couple of days ago where as I had my ID verified in 2009 when I joined the platform. On contacting the support they told me that it is a bug I should just ignore it. Also I would recommend to change your name to Long Tran instead of deleting your account. You can just let your clients know that you prefer to go by Teefan instead of your actual name.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 9

Hi Long,

I am sorry about the frustration this situation has caused you. I would also suggest you do not include your nickname in your profile name. On Upwork we require users to use their legal names as their profile names. There were a couple of great suggestion on this thread to either include your nickname in your profile overview or in private communication with your clients. Once you edit your profile name, I am sure the issue will be resolved and there will be no need to delete your account.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS