🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Messages blocking .docx document from ...
Page options
caldwellkyle
Community Member

Upwork Messages blocking .docx document from being downloaded.

Hello,

Today I uploaded a .docx Word document to a Messages conversation. However, when the client tried to download it, they were unable to. When I tried to download it myself from the Messages conversation I received the following response: "The file you’re trying to download contains a blocked extension, and could be a risk to your computer. Please use caution if you choose to continue."

I'd like to know why this is occuring. I have sent this same client numerous .docx documents with no problem -- in fact, this is literally the same file I've sent him previously with just updated/saved text. Is there any way I can find out what the "blocked extension" is so I can remove it? As I said, this is a very unsophisticated text document so I'm not sure why Upwork is flagging it.

Best,
Kyle

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Kyle,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your file/s Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kyle,

Messages and attachments are scanned for viruses and other malware prior to you downloading them. For more information about steps we take to protect our users please see this page.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hey Bojan,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately your response and link do not answer my question. I'm aware Upwork scans messages and attachments for viruses and malware, but I'm curious as to why a document that I prepared and know is virus-free is being blocked. As I said in my previous message, the same document has been uploaded and downloaded without issue before, but yesterday after having added text and saving the document, it has suddenly become unacceptable.

My specific question is: Why was that particular document flagged/blocked? I'd like to know so that I can ensure I prepare the document propely on my end, so this does not happen with future documents.

Failing that, does Upwork have guidelines/suggestions for uploading safe .docx files? I've never had an issue with this in the past.

Thank you very much,
Kyle

Hi Kyle,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your file/s Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Perfect, Goran. Thanks so much.

My clients usually create a share on Dropbox or Google Drive. Its so much easier to do that.

There is simply no reason to rely on the Upwork Messages tool for file transfers. It intentionally blocks or alters many types of files. Use Dropbox, FTP, WeTransfer, Google Drive, etc.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members