Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Upwork Mods Please Help!

Ace Contributor
Namita S Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
1 of 11

Hello,

 

I was hired yesterday by a Client  to do a translation work in his translation tool. Before accepting the offer I asked him about the link to his translation tool. But he remained unresponsive.

I then accepted his offer and Again in that I asked him the link to his translation tool, ID and password to proceed with the work and submit before his deadline of Monday. He still remained Unresponsive.

After a couple of hours I messaged him again for the same still no response.

I worked with this client on a fixed price contract in April 2018 on Upwork and after the work he went MIA, never responded & never closed the contract. Upwork initiated the payment after 14 days. "

Again in the month of June he asked me to do a translation job and to which I agreed and he updated the Milestone. But his urgency to get the work done seemed "Fishy" to me so  I checked the My Jobs section, where Upwork notified me - "Please ask your client to fund and activate this milestone".

I notified the client about this and he said he is having trouble with his credit card and he will get back to me. He went MIA again.

 

He contacted me yesterday for new work and I asked him to close the previous contract first which he did. But I am really suspicious about this Client.

 

This is a new contract and the client needs to provide me the login details to his translation tools. I am not sure if he is the owner of that tool And I'll NEVER log into his tool with the details which he provided to me in April 2018 to carry out the translation. I don't want to get into any trouble and don't want this to affect my JSS negatively as I have to submit the work before Monday.

 

Please HELP !!

Any advice or suggestion would be a great help.

I Can not proceed with the work unless the Client provides me his translation tool link, translator id and password to do the translations.

 

Thank you.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

@Namita S wrote:

 And I'll NEVER log into his tool with the details which he provided to me in April 2018 to carry out the translation. I don't want to get into any trouble and don't want this to affect my JSS negatively as I have to submit the work before Monday.


 Personally, if I had 2 poor experiences with a client I don't accept a third contract.

I would not have accepted the second either.

 

Secondly you should never accept a contract before you have what you need to do the work.

 

Finally, why don't you try the credentials you were given in June? I have several clients for whom I work in translation tools and just use the credentials I was originally given to log into those tools.

 

Upwork can't help you manage your clients and contracts, that is your responsibility and yours alone.

 

Ace Contributor
Namita S Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
3 of 11

Hi Petra, 

He didn't provide any credentials in June. He updated the milestone and kept messaging- Have you started.... have you finished...

Then I found out that theres no escrow amount in that Milestone. 

 

Yes I understand the things you are telling me and you are absolutely correct!

 

It's just that I am just not having a good feeling about this contract and client. 

I have created a ticket regarding this and would wait for the reply of the team. 

 

Thank you for answering & sharing this information!! 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 11

What  in the world possessed you to accept a contract with a client who has already proved to you that they are a pain?


@Namita S wrote:

It's just that I am just not having a good feeling about this contract and client. 

I have created a ticket regarding this and would wait for the reply of the team.


 The is nothing the team can do.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 11

@Namita S wrote:

Hi Petra, 

He didn't provide any credentials in June. He updated the milestone and kept messaging- Have you started.... have you finished...

Then I found out that theres no escrow amount in that Milestone. 

 

Yes I understand the things you are telling me and you are absolutely correct!

 

It's just that I am just not having a good feeling about this contract and client. 

I have created a ticket regarding this and would wait for the reply of the team. 

 

Thank you for answering & sharing this information!! 


 What did you state in the ticket that would be an issue from upwork's point of view? I can't see anything, frankly.

Upwork will not tell the client to fund the milestone, this is entirely between you and your client. They provide a framework to work safely if everybody adheres to the ToS.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 11

@Martina P wrote:

Upwork will not tell the client to fund the milestone


 The milestone must be funded. It is physically impossible to create a fixed rate contract without funding the first milestone.

 

Her problem is that she can't access the place she needs to access to do the work.

Obviously Upwork can neither provide that access nor chase the client to do so, that is not their job.

Ace Contributor
Namita S Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
7 of 11

Exactly!

The only problem is that I have NO access to the translation tool where the translation work has to be done. 

This is a new contract on which he hired me yesterday and this one is funded. 

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 11

@Namita S wrote:

Exactly!

The only problem is that I have NO access to the translation tool where the translation work has to be done. 

This is a new contract on which he hired me yesterday and this one is funded. 


 I see. So what is your expectation that upwork does about it?

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 11

If you were just hired yesterday, wait and see if the client provides you with the necessary information. If he does not, you can eventually ask for the work to be paid (and hope that it is) or close the contract. 

 

I certainly hope that you will learn from this experience and not accept a contract from this client again. 

Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
10 of 11

Don't work with unresponsive clients. They can destroy your JSS, and they are likely to mismanage other parts of the project, such as paying you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS