🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Payment Protection
Page options
mushtaqmushtaq
Community Member

Upwork Payment Protection

Hi

A client want to hire me on 999$ per hour on hourly contract for one month. Is that okay for working with him and he has a Verified Payment Methd.

Is Upwork will protect my hardworks if he does any scam?

how much money upwork will protect? If I work on 999$ per hour work and I log 10 hours?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "if you are using the time tracker while working, you will be protected."

Not necessarily. There are exceptions.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork ToS:

https://www.upwork.com/legal#escrow-hourly

"Hourly Payment Protection... The maximum rate per hour protected by Upwork to Freelancer under the Hourly Payment Protection for Freelancers is the lesser of: (i) the rate provided in the Hourly Contract terms; (ii) the usual hourly rate billed by Freelancer on the Site across all Clients; and (iii) the going rate for the same skills on the Site in Freelancer's area (such determination to be made in Upwork's sole discretion). The maximum amount of coverage under the Hourly Payment Protection for Freelancers for the life of a relationship between the same Client and Freelancer is $2,500 or 50 hours logged in Work Diary, whichever is less."

Read more about Hourly payment protection – limits:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Hourly-payment-protection-limits/td-p/625275

10 hours X $999/hour is: $9990

Upwork ToS states a hard limit of $2500.

Upwork ToS also stipulates maximum based on freelancer's regularly hourly rate (which is $15/hour) or regular rate in the freelancer's skill area (which I estimate to be $15/hour).

So to answer the original poster's question: "How much money Upwork will protect?"
I estimate: $150

youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi abdul,
To be honest, this sounds very strange to me. 999$/hr! If you already know how many hours you will work [10 hours], Why don't you set a fixed-price contract with 9990$, maybe break it down into a number of milestones.

Anyways, if you are using the time tracker while working, you will be protected.

re: "if you are using the time tracker while working, you will be protected."

Not necessarily. There are exceptions.

Can you please feedback on my Profile?

And I can not add my Testimonials. I have worked with many outside clients and everytime Upwork says, we dont find any sufficient evidence of work. how can I provide evidence of work?

I did the same i have woked my ass of and when client recieved the project he put it in dispute and upwork refund all 

Suppose I work on fixed price contract of 9990$, I am scared of being fraud. If client has insufficient funds in card or something else and client disappeared. will i get my 9990$?

re: "Suppose I work on fixed price contract of 9990$, I am scared of being fraud. If client has insufficient funds in card or something else and client disappeared. will i get my 9990$?"

Of course that seems fraudulent.

If the credit card can't successfully be charged, then no, you will not get the money.

If the credit card is fine, but the client simply decides to not pay you, then you won't get the money. The client could click "Request Changes" every time you submit, and block you from receiving payment endlessly.

The client could close the contract and release zero dollars to you, and you would need to file a dispute. The client could force a dispute to go all the way to arbitration, and possibly get all the money back.

If there is a chargeback on the credit card, the money will be clawed back.

Fixed-price contracts have significantly LESS PROTECTION than hourly contracts. I consider a fixed-price contract to be something that has no guarantee from Upwork at all. I use fixed-price contracts based on trusting a client, not based on believing that Upwork is offering any kind of guarantee of payment.

Yes, that's why I suggested that you break it down into milestones. For example, 10 or 15 milestones. So that you make sure that you don't submit everything unless you are getting paid

Hi Abdul,

You are not hired for this job and shouldn’t provide any work until your client sends you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab. 

Please check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about this report? I’ll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you so Much all of you.

You are very kind persons.

Have you asked yourself why someone would hire a $50/hour freelancer for $999/hour? You're about to be a part of fraud and you about to get a NO REASON.

Hi Jennifer, I guess the contract that he is about to work on worth 9990$ [as a fixed price]. He wanted to switch to hourly as the Fixed-price protection is very questionable [at least for me, Because I have a lot of questions marks about it], so instead of spending 199 hours working with 50$/hour, he wanted to increase the rate to 999$/hour so that he can work only for 10 hours, so he can still get paid the same amount they agreed on (9990$).

Today [Too late] I figured out that what he wants to do makes a lot of sense to me [To avoid scammers].

mushtaqmushtaq
Community Member

My Question is how upwork determine and track that this hiring is by self?

They won't tell because that makes it easier to manipulate it.

I am hardworking person, I am asking this because i have 50 plus local clients and I want to work with him on Upwork platform. Thats why I am asking. Because Location can affect?

Abdul G wrote:

I am hardworking person, I am asking this because i have 50 plus local clients and I want to work with him on Upwork platform. Thats why I am asking. Because Location can affect?

If you're already working with 50 clients and they've been paying you $999/hour, then they must value your skills very, very highly; therefore, why would you be worried that they suddenly won't pay you if you ask them to join Upwork? I'm pretty sure that Upwork would want to investigate such a situation. It would be a shame if a hardworking person like yourself was banned from the platform.

Abdul G wrote:

Hi Abdul,

While we won't be able to provide any specifics or additional information, I can confirm we have systems and teams in place to detect TOS violations.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

If I work with local clients then its problem for me or not? I am just asking this.

Abdul G wrote:

If I work with local clients then its problem for me or not? I am just asking this.

If your local clients found you and hired you off the Upwork platform, then it is not problem. If your local clients have accounts with Upwork and found you on Upwork, then you must be paid through Upwork. 

Abdul G wrote:

They have their ways. We have seen fraudulent freelancers try this stunt before and get very quickly banned. The other day someone was suspended just for applying for their own job post...

Abdul G wrote:

, I am asking this because i have 50 plus local clients and I want to work with him on Upwork platform. Thats why I am asking. 

You have 50 plus local clients who want to pay you a completely unrealistic rate for your skillsets? Why would you want to pay tthe Upwork fee to work with local clients on Upwork?

With 50 plus local clients, how do you have time for Upwork?

I am new on Upwork. I heared about that we can find international clients on Upwork. I know its very difficult to grow on upwork when you are new.

Thats why I am asking. I can build my reputation on that platform and work with more clients easily.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths