🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork Payroll System
Page options
5c6259ca
Community Member

Upwork Payroll System

Hi there, could somebody tell me more about this, especially for someone in Chile? i would like to know if i get the same hourly protection, how long does it take to get paid and what benefits do i get, why would someone prefer Upwork payroll system over traditional hourly 

7 REPLIES 7
JoanneP

Hi Sebastian, 

For the Upwork Payroll service, we partner with employment providers in the local jurisdiction where the freelancer lives. The terms of employment vary by the laws of the country and state, by local custom, and by the employment provider's policies.

For those reasons, the timing of payment will depend on the specific employer. In the United States, it is typically weekly, but in some countries monthly or another schedule is customary. Payroll payments are made consistent with the employers payroll calendar, which will be provided to the employee and will give the employer time to calculate and pay payroll. Please check this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
5c6259ca
Community Member

Ok but what benefits do i get as a freelancer? this seems to be accomodating the client regarding taxes and everything else but i don't see any benefits for me since i will be working with an intermediate party ( the staffing agency) working with a different hourly tracker and getting paid on a different time.

Also i thought this was available only in the US

petra_r
Community Member

Sebastian B wrote:

Ok but what benefits do i get as a freelancer?

It wouldn't be "as a freelancer" - that's the whole point. It is employment.

What benefits you get depends on your location (whatever they have to provide by law in your country) and subject to negotiation between you and the employer.

5c6259ca
Community Member

Its so strange for me, why would anyone want to remove the free- from freelancer, in my country the benefits are pretty much null thats why im a freelancer and not an employee for a company, and is so strange how would a company in the US for example even know what to do regarding the law in my country? who are these staffing agencies?

petra_r
Community Member

Sebastian B wrote:

Its so strange for me,

Are you being offered employment under Payroll?

Sebastian B wrote:

how would a company in the US for example even know what to do regarding the law in my country? 

That's why it is done via "employers of record" - because they do know.

Hi Joanne Marie! I hope you see this even thought it's a reply in an old thread. I've read the article you linked on your message but I have another question, on the employer side do you still count as a freelancer or would they have to count you as an employee? i can't find that information anywhere, as well as any information regarding fees for this service.

Hi Cristina,

Check out this help article to learn about Any Hire! This should help with your needs.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths