Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Platform Is Bad For Me

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
11 of 42

@Ian David John E wrote:

Liam You obviously just don't know what you are talking about that's the problem!

No offense, but perhaps it's your attitude that's the culprit here. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 42

Hi Krisztina,

Liam Said with no understanding "Ian, iif you aren't getting hired - it's your fault, not Upwork's. It's not about marketing, the new platform, etc...it's about your ability to sell your services to clients based on your cover letter."

Liam attitude!  He does not even know my case or know my ability and skills. He could have asked first before jumping to conclusions. As what I am telling you guys here is the truth.....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
13 of 42

Ian, I admit I'm no expert. I am a forum contributor and I constantly see the exact same posts.

I stick to what I said. I'd suggesting revising your approach to jobs. Focus more on quality. 

Edit for Ian's response: it's Lyam. My response was direct and based on what you've provided. Perhaps you should've included more information instead of speculation and screenshots which prove absolutely nothing. I stand by what I said. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
14 of 42

Hi Lyam

I don't want to upset you we can all learn and be better. All i know is as soon as the new system starts no more hires for me and many others. I could except what you are saying if i was the only one but this has happen to so many freelancers here. All the good jobs have gone! Even my clients are saying they don't like Upwork as the systems don't work well. This has never happen before.......

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
15 of 42

I understand our professions are different. But probably like your profession: there are good jobs and bad ones, new clients and old clients. Have you looked at the activity of jobs to see if anyone was hired? If no one's being hired at all, then yes, there could be a problem with the new platform. However, if people jobs are active and people are being hired, the problem could lie with you. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 42

Hi Lyam,

This is what I am saying most of the good clients (with some Upwork history) are gone! Only cheap clients left or new clients that don't hirer anyone. I tell you its really like a ghost town here. This is not the norm you will just have to trust me on that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
17 of 42

Lyam, I'm in the same field as Ian and I can confirm that the past month or so has seen a surplus of both brand new clients and low budget jobs being posted. I suspect that Upwork's new marketing push is the cause of this.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dimitar O Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
18 of 42

Lyam B

I understand our professions are different. But probably like your profession: there are good jobs and bad ones, new clients and old clients. Have you looked at the activity of jobs to see if anyone was hired? If no one's being hired at all, then yes, there could be a problem with the new platform. However, if people jobs are active and people are being hired, the problem could lie with you. 

---

You need to read more **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
19 of 42

Ian I agree 100% with you.
I know when odesk went down though. The problem name is called "CONNECTS". We are all being selective and applying 1-2 times a day max. How can you win a job by applying 1 time? This mean that you should have the luck of a "good lady" (we use to say it in my country, and with good lady you know what I mean). 
THe platform looks more like a lottery now. Day 8 this month no job for me. Applied to 15 applications. I have 23 jobs with a rate of 4.96 and 86% JS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
20 of 42

I also agree with Ian.

When connects were introduced we were all told we would now be more likely to receive invitations to jobs and therefore would not need as many connects.

Unfortunately the "system" now shows clients a suggested list of contractors to invite to their job who are in no way qualified for the position.

Many of us with specialized skills have to sit and watch these people being invited knowing full well they are not qualified, while top rated, job successful peope get no invites that are relevant to their skill.

That's a real problem for many people. I have personally experienced this from the client side and from the freelancer side and and this really needs to be fixed.

Unfortunately, even though Upwork knows it's broken, and admits it in email support enquiries ....absolutely nothing is being done to fix it and thereby help freelancers to get those invites and use less connects.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS