Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Platform Is Bad For Me

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
21 of 42

The fact is, Ian is being hired less than his peers after the change. So those persons making this point are correct. However apart from his practices of sending 200 applications in a month he could have a point. There is always the possibility that Ian has a $50/hr rate, and since the change many of those clients are not frequenting the platform as much. If Ian has not changed his approach, then there would be less opportunities for him to land a $50/hr contract. Therefore his statistics could just be a reflection of less jobs available to him and not his fault. If there were ten $50/hr contracts posted in his field each week, but now only 2 per week. Even if he normally would have a conversion percentage of 20%, instead of 2 jobs per week it would now be 0.4 jobs per week.

We all need to remember that there is NEVER one right answer, for so many reasons. Give him a break.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Leila J Member Since: Jan 9, 2015
22 of 42

Setu,

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
23 of 42

My haiku was written in order to encourage an atmosphere of quiet contemplation in the combatants. The moderators, however, didn't see it's stark, harmonious simplicity and deleted it. Cat Sad

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Leila J Member Since: Jan 9, 2015
24 of 42

Sad to hear that, Ramon.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
25 of 42

It's Ok, I may start my own haiku forum in the Coffee Break section for those wishing to share their own 3-line, 5,7,5 syllable thoughts regarding the change from odesk to upwork. Cat Embarassed

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
26 of 42

Hi Setu

The point I was making was Upwork is not working for me and many others. I am moving on at this time....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
27 of 42
Ian,

It is good to diversify and look for opportunities elsewhere. But you can always keep this option open also, especially since it has been working for some time prior.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
28 of 42

Dear Setu

Yes i will be doing that for sure and thank you for your input. I do feel its weird after many years of success here I would know a thing or two about marketing and competing? But  it's not working for me anymore. On upwork now I only see cheap low budget clients or new clients not many quality clients I wonder why that is?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
29 of 42

Ian, my point is not to dispute the quality of clients the past couple months. I'm not disputing that Upwork has too many problems the can't fix and simply are in over their head.

My reply to you is simply to look for clarification because one one side you mention a lack of client quality (I agree with you on this) but on the other side you're using a chart to back up your claim, that does not measure the metrics you are referring to. Do you understand? Maybe a translation issue as well.

That chart does not prove anything you are talking about. It measures something totally different.

So I was asking specifically, what it is you felt is preventing you from getting hired - so the community can help you!

If you are applying to jobs that are not a good for for you, and the client hires other people. I can understand why the chart dropped for you. All that means, is the number of quality jobs for you are decreasing. This is same for many of us. The chart alone does not tell that story though.

With that said, no one should ever look for income through only one source.

You will find that most people who make a decent amount of money (more than a million per year for example), have at least 3 sources of income. As the saying goes, "Putting all your eggs in one basket" is a dangerous thing to do. Upwork should be a small part of your total income. For some niches here, it takes as many ours to find a job as teh job pays... so we need to charge double our rate just to make it worth while. Of course clients aren't going to want to pay that either. It's not a good place for many people. Upwork is an optional opportunity for a very small group of top freelancers in some fields, and an amazing opportunity for unemployed people with less education or experience.

I got mad at oDesk/Upwork too. Screamed and hollered. Then gave up. I'm here to search for opportunities that go beyond the dollar value. Upwork is not going to change. As you mentioned you have been around for a long time. So you wil have noticed that in the past 3 years or so it has been getting worse and worse for people who want to earn a steady and livable income. Those clients *seem* to have steadily lost interest in hiring here. Now, it is full of wantrepreneurs. People who want to be self employed but do not have the financial means, experience, or skills to be successful. They hire for cheap, screw up, and then blame everyone else for their own mistakes.

So to answer your question, when will they fix this? They aren't!

They have been working towards this direction for three years and are creating more and more functions and rules to make sure it stays a safe place for the lower end of the job market. They are creating systems that adapt to low quality clients and freelancers.

They won't fix it, nor do they appear to have any interest in doing so. They will take the top few clients and move them into their enterprise business.

Time is money. Don;t wait for them to adjust to you. You need to go fishing in new waters, and use Upwork as a backup, once you discover there aren't any other good options.

Highlighted
Enrique N Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
30 of 42

If I may, I don't know what it was like before, but all I can say is that comming from Elance Upwork has been a catastrophic experience, not only 0 hires, excepting an old and faithfull client from Elance, but worse of all the low, low fees expected by the clients, even Elance didn't fall so low! I'll probably leave the plateform because this is nigh on **edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS