cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Platform Is Bad For Me

Highlighted
Robert Marshall K Member Since: Oct 24, 2015
31 of 42

I agree wholeheartedly. I have realized that I have to abandon Upwork and the sinking Elance and work harder on marketing. After considerable success at Elance, I got exactly one job on Upwork and that was cancelled when the prime contractor backed out. Worthless, wretched clients and low-paying jobs. Plus you have the privilege of paying more than Elance and waiting for your money. The future lies outside this site.

Highlighted
Enrique N Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
32 of 42

Couldn't agree more with you, I'm glad to see I'm not alone (started to get worried) The question is in which direction? 

Highlighted
Le H Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
33 of 42

Hi Enrique,

Same here, basically no work, unless I want to write a 600 word article for $3. I really do mourn the loss of Elance.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Ivan S Member Since: Oct 24, 2015
34 of 42

Well, I think this more the question of style - I better than circa 85% of freelances in getting hired, and I got one job (yes, just one) out of 10 I applied to. As % this is similar to Elance, but there I've applied to (and got) much greater number of jobs. Overall, in 4 months that I closely watched Upwork I only saw about 20 positings worth following on (and about 10 of the them had qualification requirements that I cannot meet, such as CPA certificaiton, ability to speak Spanish e.t.c.).

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Paula S Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
35 of 42

As a recently migrated Elancer I've been finding Upwork a total waste of time. I'm innudated with the "Act fast! Just posted emails' suggesting I may be a 'good fit' for jobs with a $10-20 budget when my hourly rate is $48. (I've finally just disabled the notifications.) The quality of the jobs posted is no where near what I found on Elance and those that are listed at higher rates are expecying a laundry list of pieces to be produced (ie. project budget is $500 and the request is for a logo, 2 brochures and a web site) the interface is slow and cumbersome (at best), the fees are higher, wait time for payment is longer, and in general it appears to be a race to the bottom as opposed to a marketplace for highly-qualified freelancers to connect with clients. I will work with the few Elance clients who have told me they'll be making the move over but otherwise it's becoming more evident each day that I will need to seek out alternatives and hope that someone recognizes the gapping hole that the merger created and decides to fill it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
36 of 42

You think it's bad here? Just wait until you see the alternatives out there.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Paula S Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
37 of 42

To be clear I don't mean other online platforms. I agree that there isn't a significantly better alternative to Upwork but as I work with a roster of clients offline I will returning to focusing my efforts at further expanding my work through referrals, direct marketing, local networking etc.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Ivan S Member Since: Oct 24, 2015
38 of 42

Jean, as much as I understand where you are coming from (I've looked at f..er.com and t..er.com and few others and they are trully horrible), I think you are missing the point here as I want to have a great platform that I can use and pointing out problems with it to make it better.

To that extent I do not care what other platforms are doing, I honestly would like this platform to be my main source of revenue so I can spend more time doing the work and not chasing clients. Currently less than 5% of my income comes from Elance / Upwork despite the fact that I am top 1% in Finance category on Elance (not sure how I measure on Upwork, but I doubt I am much lower if both Elance and Upwork results are combined). 

You also need to keep in mind that in the category you are present in you have natural barriers for entry - as much as I respect Amit Chaubhuri, I would not hire native speaker outside the US or the UK to do my resume.  Such barriers are much lower in some other categories. Personally I am already run into 3 projects (out of about 20 I did so far) where I had to urgently clean up after modellers from countries with less than $1300 GDP per capita. In one case I had to clean up after the guy who outbid me. So at the end the client spent more money than he ought to not only because he paid to the other freelancer, but also because I had to do an urgent job. 

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
39 of 42
This widget could not be displayed.

@Paula S wrote:

As a recently migrated Elancer I've been finding Upwork a total waste of time. I'm innudated with the "Act fast! Just posted emails' suggesting I may be a 'good fit' for jobs with a $10-20 budget when my hourly rate is $48. (I've finally just diabled the notifications.) The quality of the jobs posted is no where near what I found on Elance and those that are listed at higher rates are expecying a laundry list of pieces to be produced (ie. projetc budget is $500 and the request is for a logo, 2 brochures and a web site) the interface is slow and cumbersome (at best), the fees are higher, wait time for payment is longer, and in general it appears to be a race to the bottom as opposed to a marketplace for highly-qualified freelancers to connect with clients. I will work with the few Elance clients who have told me they'll be making the move over but otherwise it's becoming more evident each day that I will need to seek out alternatives and hope that someone recognizes the gapping hole that the merger created and decides to fill it.

For me it looks like that most of the good jobs (clients) in Elance have disappeared and not reappeared in Upwork. That is my experience so far.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Charlie E Member Since: Aug 2, 2015
40 of 42

As a freelancer, I gave Upwork a shot, however it really just didn't work for me. 

I only worked on Elance for a few months, but I found it to be much more lucrative than Upwork. 

I have only used Upwork as a client, and I honestly did not have a good experience.

As a client, all you really need is escrow and a pool of freelancers.

We decided to move to another platform (I'm sure you all know which one). From the client side I find the platform to be a bit easier to use. 

The pool of freelancer talent isn't as good as Upwork or Elance, but we have mostly been brining our own freelancers over, so it doesn't really matter. 

I know for a fact that many Elance clients have been moving their freelancers offline or to other platforms. 

Most who have been hiring for sometime already have a list of freelaners that they use. 

This might account for the lack of clients making the transfer to Upwork. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS