🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Platform becoming unfair
Page options
michi1985
Community Member

Upwork Platform becoming unfair

Hello fellow freelancer, 

I have something in my mind that I thought of posting here to know if there areother freelancer who have the same sentiments with me. 

First, I really think that the platform has increasingly becoming unfair with some of freelancers like me. My profile is switched again to private mode because I was not able to send the platform additional income from my current roster of projects (some of them has become idle and promised of sending me projects that is why they don't want to close it). I have a current project which is worth 500usd. Upwork got 20% from that, is that not enough to open my account to public mode since the amount they got from that project is around a hundred dollars? It always happen to my profile that whenever I have project that is seemingly big budgeted, in just a matter of weeks/days my profile has been turned off again because I do not get new more projects and send the platform fresh dollars. I got tired of complaining this algorithm they use because I will just have to explain myself again when in fact, as a freelancer we don't need to especially if we have current projects. 

Second, profile rating is becoming ridiculous and unbelievable. They will reduce the rating based on the slowness of projects that comes in my way. How can I able to redeem my profile and get projects again if the rating reflects 79% or 74% since the last project I handle is months ago and it took that much time to finish it? 

Also, will that be the freelancers' fault if she cannot get a project in continuous manner (like what they algorithm expect us to do to keep our rating up in the profile) because too many freelancer are offering projects with prices way below the professionals' or experts' are supposed to charge? I have a prospective client who posted a job with the "Intermediate" level but then when we talk about the charge for the project he wanted me to do it in our country's rate which is 3 USD per hour reasoning that he also has freelancer who works for him in our country with the same rate (but different profession and tasks)? How ridiculous right? 

Third, how can I get projects if most of the projects in my area of expertise do not have verified payments? Especially the most interesting and with most reasonable budget? What will happen to my profile if there are fewer projects in my line of work and the projects becoming way too low budgeted for a professional like me? Will I resort to pretending to do projects not my expertise just to become active here and feed them fresh income? 

I hope there would be developments in this platform and would change for the benefit of all and not just for their benefit in a fair manner. 

11 REPLIES 11
tlbp
Community Member

Upwork isn't fair. Upwork is a business, not a public service. It is not Upwork's fault that you face competition from other freelancers willing to work for a lower fee. Nor is it Upwork's fault that prospective clients ask you to work for a low fee. That's just the way life goes. Is there another platform where you wouldn't face such competition? 

And, if you could find clients on your own, you wouldn't need to pay a 20% commission to find them here. So, either you need and benefit from Upwork's service or you don't. If you don't, why use it? Invest that 20% you will save on commissions in marketing your business and finding clients. Then, you won't have to worry about cheap bidders, JSS scores or commission rates. 

If you want to succeed, you must treat your business like a business. You can't rely on anyone else to bring success to you. You have to make the decisions that are best for you. 

michi1985
Community Member

Thank you for your frankness and eye opening words for me. I appreciate that you put it right in front what it is to be there without UPWORK. This platform is important for me and I understand very well why they are put up in the first place. It is just that I hope somehow they will change the way some of their algorithms work in favor of the freelancer as we are still paying them and not freeloaders with their platform. 

No need to be hitting on a person's attitude towards/and about finding a project. I somehow got your point but you might be coming from a different perspective from what I intend to mean but still I appreciate it. 

Have a nice day

translator_of_x
Community Member

I don't have much experience with Upwork myself, but even I know that trying to charge a different amount due to the freelancer's home country's rate being cheaper - is just a big no-no. I mean, it's the entire reason we're even here in the first place, isn't it? To guarantee a better pay rate for the experience and quality of your work?

If the client had a budget, and you had an offer within that budget, and he tried to blindside you like that, you should report him.

hodgesh
Community Member

To get your profile switched back to public, all you have to do is ask support. It's easy.

Your JSS doesn't drop just because you don't take many projects.

Read the Help and Support articles about JSS and profiles being switched to private.

If you can't find good projects on Upwork, then you simply don't work on Upwork. You leave Upwork or you wait until you do find a good project. No one is going to force you to take projects you dislike.

nyrrielatienza
Community Member

Hi Michelle,

I have set your profile back to public. 

As a freelancer, we recommend carefully reading the entire job post and using your own experience to determine whether you have enough information, you trust that information, and it’s worth using your Connects to submit a proposal. We also suggest you look at other important details, such as any client history. 

Our goal is not to target the great freelancers who use our marketplace. This change is both a reward for freelancers who regularly earn on the platform, and a trust and safety measure to prevent off-platform work. To learn more, please check this help article.

While we won't be able to advice agencies and clients with how they select freelancers, you can definitely create a proposal and a profile that would make you stand out from everyone else.

You may want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork:

8+ Tips to Help You Create a Profile That Stands Out

Upwork Profiles: Why a Great Title and Overview Can Make a Difference

A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture

Get Your Profile to the Next Level with an Intro Video

4 Ways to Create a More Successful Portfolio Regardless of Your Skill Set

We do however appreciate your feedback about the process. To learn more, and to participate in the discussion about this feature, please join the community discussion here.

Let me know if you need anything else.

~ Riri

Thank you
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Michelle N wrote:

Hello fellow freelancer, 

I have a current project which is worth 500usd. Upwork got 20% from that, is that not enough to open my account to public mode since the amount they got from that project is around a hundred dollars? It always happen to my profile that whenever I have project that is seemingly big budgeted, in just a matter of weeks/days my profile has been turned off again because I do not get new more projects and send the platform fresh dollars.

It doesn't matter what your open project is worth, only what you've actually earned. If you have no earnings for a 30 day period (meaning money actually paid to you for a completed job/milestone or weekly pay from an hourly job, not "in progress"), then your profile is automatically set to private. But the request to change it back can be automatically submitted with two clicks.

If you earn anything at all within a 30 day period, your profile will remain public (or UW members only, if you so choose). 

A project is worth exactly nothing until the work is completed and payment is rendered, because the client or the freelancer can cancel at any time for any reason. Therefore, earnings only count when money changes hands.

But how can I continuously earn for 30 days if I am tied up with a current project that is taking too much time to finish? 

That's one of my sentiments on why I think that the platform is becoming unfair.  

Michelle N wrote:

But how can I continuously earn for 30 days if I am tied up with a current project that is taking too much time to finish? 

You manage your contract properly so there are milestones that assure you receive something within 30 days, or you simply ask Support to set your profile public again which takes seconds.

It certainly takes a lot less time and effort than writing long posts whining.

If you are so busy with your ongoing contract, what does it matter if your profile is set to private for a few hours / a day? Clients you apply to see your profile as usual, you just don't appear on searches briefly.

I don't understand what the big deal is.

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

chan_masih
Community Member

You can easily active your profile through the upwork team. It's just simple step. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths