Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Rate Tip?

Community Guru
Riri A Member Since: Jul 21, 2018
11 of 21

Hi Jacqueline,

Rate Tip is calculated specifically for you and this client based on Upwork data. Our system analyzes the following information to provide a rate we believe would increase your earnings and and still make you competitive for this job:

• Rates paid on similar jobs in this specific category and subcategory,
  • The freelancer experience level this client is looking to hire
  • Your rates and experience from all of your work on Upwork
  • Supply and demand in this category and subcategory.

Check out this Community post for more information about the Rate Tip feature and how it works. Let me know if you need anything else. 

~ Riri
Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
12 of 21

I've seen rate tips on my proposals for as much as $60/hr. I just roll my eyes and laugh. Trust me, if I submitted a bid for $60/hr for the tpe of work I do (which, by the way, is absolute top notch by any standards) it would virtually guarantee that I wouldn't get the job. Not here on UpWork, anyway. End of story.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 21

Gary Val T wrote:

I've seen rate tips on my proposals for as much as $60/hr. I just roll my eyes and laugh. Trust me, if I submitted a bid for $60/hr for the tpe of work I do (which, by the way, is absolute top notch by any standards) it would virtually guarantee that I wouldn't get the job. Not here on UpWork, anyway. End of story.

Only $60? Most of mine are $125+/hour. I think they are pulling data from an external API. There are so many of them out there, but Glassdoor is common. There is another one I can't think of right now that some of my clients point me to.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 21

Riri A wrote:

Rate Tip is calculated specifically for you and this client based on Upwork data. Our system analyzes the following information to provide a rate we believe would increase your earnings and and still make you competitive for this job: Rates paid on similar jobs in this specific category and subcategory, the freelancer experience level this client is looking to hire, your rates and experience from all of your work on Upwork, and supply and demand in this category and subcategory.

Check out this Community post for more information about the Rate Tip feature and how it works. Let me know if you need anything else. 

I'm fascinated by the subsequent comments that absolutely ignore or dismiss this information.

John S Member Since: Jun 4, 2019
15 of 21

Riri,

I have a question.  If I submit a proposal and I submit at or near the rate tip when the client looks at the proposal do the see my regular hourly rate as well as what I'm proposing?  For example:

Rate tip is $75 dollars

Profile Rate is $50

If I propose $70

Will the client then be able to see on my profile I charge  $50.00 but the proposal is for $70.00?  From a client's perspective it looks like I'm trying to gouge them.  A big turn off to a potential client.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
16 of 21

Hi John,

The client will see the proposal with the rate that you have applied, but they can also see your profile hourly rate when they open your profile. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
17 of 21

Yes, Jacqueline, the hourly rate "tips" I see on projects I submit proposals on are usually outrageously high.

I'd like to try using these wonderfully optimistic hourly rates these "tips" recommend, but I'm pretty sure they'd put me out of the running on all but a very, very few projects. 

Unfortunately, the black box algorithm that creates these "tips" will probably also play a part in how Upwork assigns "values" to new projects and determines how many connects freelancers must use to submit proposals on those projects. I will be very surprised if I see many projects that won't cost 6 connects per proposal once the new and improved connects calculations kick in.

Katerina S Member Since: May 28, 2019
18 of 21

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about this suggested hourly rate recently.... Before I used to just ignore it because I didn't have any upwork experience really. I've done a few jobs now, but still not loads. Yet upwork seems to think I can charge more "based on my previous experience".  I've also just got my job success score (100%Smiley Very Happy) Which I'm very happy about!

Reading other people's comments, most people think these rate tips are outrageously high, but some people have said that they're about the same as what they actually charge. It's also been mentioned that charging too low can hurt your chances of clients thinking you're good and hiring you.

I've had a look at other freelancers offering similar services to me and for proofreading there are a lot of people charging 30,40 and 50 dollars.... My hourly rate is $15 and the last rate tip said I could charge $27...

I see a lot of people are confident that their rates are right and can confidently say that the rate tip is too high... But I'm not so sure... Can anyone give me any advice?

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
19 of 21

Katerina S wrote:

I've had a look at other freelancers offering similar services to me and for proofreading there are a lot of people charging 30,40 and 50 dollars.... My hourly rate is $15 and the last rate tip said I could charge $27...

I see a lot of people are confident that their rates are right and can confidently say that the rate tip is too high... But I'm not so sure... Can anyone give me any advice?

Here's the benchmark I use for editorial services, from the Editorial Freelancers Association.

bonus tip: The majority of requests for proofreading want, at a minimum, copy editing. It's essential to know the distinction, examine the manuscript to determine the level of editing needed, and bid and charge accordingly. Many freelancers bake Upwork's commission into our rates.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
20 of 21

Beware of (meaning "ignore") black box algorithms bearing the gift of "suggested" pricing that is far above your usual pay rate.

It will be rare for a quality client to be willing to pay you double or more your usual rate, which they can easily check on your profile. So, they will very likely ignore your proposal if more reasonable rates are offered by other freelancers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS