🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Salary through Wire transfer?
Page options
anniedesigns
Community Member

Upwork Salary through Wire transfer?

Hello There,

I'm a full-time freelancer and currently, my main source of income is through Upwork. I used to get paid through PayPal but Now I want to switch to Wire transfer so the money will be sent directly to my domestic Bank, the reason is, in my country, some institutions require me to have an official "Salary" or proof of such. They told me that as long as the wire transfer transaction indicates "SALARY" in "purpose" (meaning, when it goes to my account it says it's a salary) then it can be perceived as such and I won't have a problem with approving loans, mortgages, etc.

So my question is, Is there a way for me to indicate that the money that I get from Upwork, when I do the Wire transfer, I indicate Salary?

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right,
Please help me.

9 REPLIES 9
anniedesigns
Community Member

also, I read that one of the main perks of being a top-rated freelancer is to have a customer service representative help you 24/7  (Not a robot). so can anyone let me know where or how do I reach those magical people plese? Smiley Very Happy

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

As a freelancer, you don't earn a salary - that's the whole problem. When you're being considered for things like loans and mortgages, being self-employed can work against you because you're seen as someone who has no guarantee of a steady paycheque, therefore you're a bigger risk. So I don't think that it'll make a difference if your bank sees payments coming to you from Upwork instead of from PayPal; Upwork isn't your employer any more than PayPal is. What I would advise (this what I've found works for me, but I'm no expert) is to ensure that your business is properly registered, you have a business bank account that you use exclusively for your payments and expenses, and perhaps get an accountant to file your tax returns for you, since that looks more official.

As a freelancer in my country, I'm not required to pay taxes.

Do you mean I should register a business of some type and pay taxes through that and make it all more legitimate or something like that?

Sorry, I'm no expert in those kinds of things, it's my first time being a freelancer, and only starting to understand certain things.

Hi Annie,

To connect with our Customer Support you will need to log in to our Help Center, once you`re logged in you can start chatting with our bot and ask the bot to connect you to our Customer Support directly. Once this is done, the bot should give you options on how you would like to contact our Customer Support. 
Our team will also reach create a ticket for you as soon as possible and assist you further if you have any additional questions. 

You can also follow up here at any time so that we (Moderators) or other freelancers share their thoughts and experience with you. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Annie G wrote:

As a freelancer in my country, I'm not required to pay taxes.

Do you mean I should register a business of some type and pay taxes through that and make it all more legitimate or something like that?

Sorry, I'm no expert in those kinds of things, it's my first time being a freelancer, and only starting to understand certain things.

I can't see what country you're in, so it would help to know that. Are you saying that freelancing is your only source of income, but you don't have to pay any taxes at all? If so, I would like to move to that country. 😉

I'm in Georgia and yes as far as I'm aware no taxes are required for freelancers.

What do you suggest doing?

Ana G wrote:

I'm in Georgia and yes as far as I'm aware no taxes are required for freelancers.

What do you suggest doing?

I think you better call your tax office and get some facts. Taxes for freelancers are minimal in Georgia but the business has to be properly registered.

As far as your bank transfer is concerned, it will never say "salary" or anything of the sort.

I Surely will, thank you.

Have you guys ever tried the personalized certificate of earnings, Do you think that will be helpful?

also, when you say registered business, is freelancing considered a business? do I have to register it?

Ana G wrote:

Have you guys ever tried the personalized certificate of earnings, Do you think that will be helpful?

Depends on the bank in your country

Ana G wrote:

also, when you say registered business, is freelancing considered a business? do I have to register it?

Freelancing is always a self-employed activity and as such a form of a business. How such a business has to be registered and/or the earnings reported varies from country to country.

Please contact a tax advisor or your tax office to make sure you are legally all ok.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths