🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Talent Acquisition Recruiter on Linked...
Page options
1e12f736
Community Member

Upwork Talent Acquisition Recruiter on LinkedIn

Hi,

I am new to the Upwork platform and had never heard about it until a supposed Talent Acquisition Manager from Upwork's "Enterprise Talent Solutions team" contacted me by LinkedIn message for a 3 month translation contract. Does Upwork actually employ Talent Acquisition Managers to find potential candidates for short term contracts on LinkedIn?

Once I agreed to fill out the application form (I did not have to give out sensitive personal info apart from my phone number and email), I got an email to set up a time to talk to the recruiter. The email was in this format "recruitername@cloud.upwork.com." Not sure that is entirely legit? My radar especially went up when at the bottom of the email it said "Please note that we will be using Google Hangouts for this meeting. When you click on the calendar invite, you will see the link you have to click on to enter the virtual meeting room."

Virtually everything I've read about using Google Hangouts for interviews, whether it's a recruiter, potential employer etc. always points to a scam. Also it does not specify whether it's a video or phone call or a chat. I picked a time to talk to the recruiter mostly out of curiosity but I also emailed her asking if this would be a video or a chat. 

I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience and if this is just wasting my time. Thank you for any insight you may have!

3 REPLIES 3
jr-translation
Community Member

Amelie M wrote:

Hi,

I am new to the Upwork platform and had never heard about it until a supposed Talent Acquisition Manager from Upwork's "Enterprise Talent Solutions team" contacted me by LinkedIn message for a 3 month translation contract. Does Upwork actually employ Talent Acquisition Managers to find potential candidates for short term contracts on LinkedIn?

Once I agreed to fill out the application form (I did not have to give out sensitive personal info apart from my phone number and email), I got an email to set up a time to talk to the recruiter. The email was in this format "recruitername@cloud.upwork.com." Not sure that is entirely legit? My radar especially went up when at the bottom of the email it said "Please note that we will be using Google Hangouts for this meeting. When you click on the calendar invite, you will see the link you have to click on to enter the virtual meeting room."

Virtually everything I've read about using Google Hangouts for interviews, whether it's a recruiter, potential employer etc. always points to a scam. Also it does not specify whether it's a video or phone call or a chat. I picked a time to talk to the recruiter mostly out of curiosity but I also emailed her asking if this would be a video or a chat. 

I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience and if this is just wasting my time. Thank you for any insight you may have!

I would not trust it. There are thousands of translators on the platform to choose from, why invite you?

That's what I figured, I was suspicious from the initial contact when I received a direct message on LinkedIn. Upwork has thousands of freelancers on their platform for businesses to find, why specifically contact a person who does not have a profile? I have a profile now but that's only because I wanted to ask in the community forums about the LinkedIn contact because it just seemed really fishy. I'm going to see how this "interview" pans out, but I am nearly 100% sure the whole thing is a scam. If anything it's only 30 minutes wasted. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Amelie,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I looked into this and it sounds like it is in relation to a position you've applied to. I've followed up with the team and they'll communicate with you directly to clarify any of your questions and concerns.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths