🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Talent Agency invite to a chat through...
Page options
vstuart
Community Member

Upwork Talent Agency invite to a chat through Google Hangouts

I was invited by a talent agent on Upwork to take part in a "complementary service package" - which is great and exciting!  However the email seemed a bit odd in...

a) it didn't look quite like an Upwork official email - it appears that the sending email address is legit and I did look up the individual who sent me the email and she also seems legit as far as having a history here (if it is in fact her!).

b) when I click on the link to schedule a time for a chat, it involved Google hangouts. <--- This is my problem!

I tried doing a search through the forums to see if anyone else had questioned this same issue but nothing came up, and since I know that I can't post the details publicly, I'm wondering if a moderator can perhaps help me out with checking / understanding if it is legit?  I'd like to take part in it, but I don't want to be stupid / scammed! 

I can forward the details via PM, if need be. 

(If it is legit --- why Google hangouts???)  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Valerie, 

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I understand why Google Hangouts may raise a red flag because of the Google Hangouts scams that have been shared in the Community. I can confirm that our team (Moderators) use Google services (such as Meet or Hangouts) for our meetings. But this is a good point and something that I will share with the team. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
65dab6ce
Community Member

The same happened to me and I felt the exact same way.

It was indeed legit (Google Hangout and all..) and it was a great experience.

Doesn't hurt to verify though.

All the best!

vstuart
Community Member

Thank you Remi!  I thought I saw something on here, perhaps it was from you but when I did a search in the forum search bar this evening, no matter how I searched, I could not track it down.  I sincerely think they should rethink the Google hangouts...big yikers...but it's good to know that someone else had a great experience with this!  I really do want to check out what they have in mind. 🙂   

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Valerie, 

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I understand why Google Hangouts may raise a red flag because of the Google Hangouts scams that have been shared in the Community. I can confirm that our team (Moderators) use Google services (such as Meet or Hangouts) for our meetings. But this is a good point and something that I will share with the team. 

~ Avery
Upwork
vstuart
Community Member

Thank you Avery!

Hi, I requested payment and not received a confirmation email. But, it's been 2 hours, and I still haven't received a payment processed email. Any advice on the delay?

Hello Mariane,

I checked and it seems that the transaction is still in process on our end. Direct to local bank transfers may take up to 4 business days before the funds are reflected in your account. Holidays in the US and in your location can also delay the process. Please let us know if after 8 business days the funds are still not reflected in your account so we can initiate a trace for you. Feel free to check this help article for more information:  We checked and could see that you received a payment confirmation email. Could you please try checking your spam folder in case the email went there? Additionally, one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further.

Thank you

Pradeep H

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members