🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Terms of Service
Page options
9b889bb3
Community Member

Upwork Terms of Service

Looking to hire a freelancer. The terms are that if the freelancer is unable to complete the task they are being hired for they will not be paid. Is this something that can be done on upwork? The rate the freelancer is asking is quite high and the budget is also high so I need to know that if I hire the freelancer and they don't deliver, there is no obligation whatsoever for me to pay.

Please let me know ASAP!

2 REPLIES 2
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Maybe set up a milestone or two to pay the person at least a small amount for a small amount of work before the big milestone for completing the work. That way you can see if they're on the right track, and also, the freelancer wouldn't have worked for nothing. If after the first milestone is completed, pay the person, but if the work isn't up to snuff, either work it out with them or cancel the rest of the contract.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Looking to hire a freelancer. The terms are that if the freelancer is unable to complete the task they are being hired for they will not be paid. Is this something that can be done on upwork? The rate the freelancer is asking is quite high and the budget is also high so I need to know that if I hire the freelancer and they don't deliver, there is no obligation whatsoever for me to pay."

Johnny:

Pretty much everything you said here is the opposite of how Upwork functions.

The basics:

Hourly contract:

You pay the freelancer for her time, regardless of results.

Fixed-price contract:

Your credit card is charged before work even begins. The money is in escrow and you can't get the money back unless the freelancer agrees to give you a refund. Regardless of results.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths