🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Testimonial: How can I get testimonial...
Page options
elitegra
Community Member

Showcase your past experience with testimonials - FEEDBACK

This is a great idea that I have thought about it for some time now, a way to showcase some of our best testimonials. BUT to me this is not the right implementation, why should we ask a client for a second testimonial when they already left feedback? 

Simply let us select from our job history the testimonials we want to feature, this will also be more legitimate. Otherwise, how can some proof they actually worked together? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,355 REPLIES 1,355
amt17
Community Member

And now I just received an email from Upwork about "strengthening" my profile with "non-Upwork client testimonials" and "To prove my top-talent status" Upwork recommends "requesting at least 5 client testimonials" from non-Upwork clients...

Does Upwork value non-Upwork clients' testimonials higher than Upwork-clients' testimonials since the non-Upwork clients are to "prove my top-talent status" (implying that the Upwork-clients can't)?

virbox
Community Member

I got a message about non-Upwork client testimonials, that contains this statement:

'To prove your top-talent status, we recommend requesting at least 5 client testimonials.'

Will my top-talent status be cancelled if I do not provide non-Upwork client testimonials?

Also, how (in theory) a person who has work at Upwork platform for the recent years, can get non-Upwork clients, do any significant work for them that deserves good feedback, and maintain good JSS at upwork simultaneously?

elastella
Community Member

I received the same email today and I am livid. The wording really bothers me.

"We recommend that you request ... to prove your top-talent status" sounds not such a long way from "We request you to... in order to prove/maintain your top-rated status".

Why would I have to "prove my status" at all? And secondly by providing Upwork with testimonials, and more importantly, the contact details of my off-site clients? 

Just like I don't want my Upwork testimonials plastered all over LinkedIn etc I don't want my work life outside of this platform become part of my Upwork profile. Since this kind of feedback probably won't impact the JSS it will be mere window dressing --> clutter.

I believe this is just so you can go ahead and offer these clients incentives to hire on Upwork. 

amt17
Community Member

Ela K wrote:

I received the same email today and I am livid. The wording really bothers me.

"We recommend that you request ... to prove your top-talent status" sounds not such a long way from "We request you to... in order to prove/maintain your top-rated status".

Why would I have to "prove my status" at all? And secondly by providing Upwork with testimonials, and more importantly, the contact details of my off-site clients? 

Just like I don't want my Upwork testimonials plastered all over LinkedIn etc I don't want my work life outside of this platform become part of my Upwork profile. Since this kind of feedback probably won't impact the JSS it will be mere window dressing --> clutter.

I believe this is just so you can go ahead and offer these clients incentives to hire on Upwork. 

I have no doubts that it's a marketing gimmick to promote Upwork.

The wording does indeed leave much to be desired and it could sound as if it's a requirement to keep your top rated status.

Without knowing exactly how it works, I wonder whether it could possibly entail any privacy issues, whether Upwork collects data when you "request" non-Upwork clients to "endorse" you.

As far as I can see, this opens the gates to fake testimonials and will water down the entire feedback system which in return will reflect badly on Upwork if (when) clients have poor experiences with unqualified freelancers. I would much rather see Upwork focus on verifying freelancers' credentials, perhaps for a $50-$100 "verification fee" - or allow us to upload diplomas, certifications etc.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Annette and Oleksii,

We've moved your posts to the main thread on this subject, on which we confirmed that testimonials aren't required for receiving or maintaining Top Rated status.

We do have tools and a system in place to review and check the validity of the testimonials. To better ensure the integrity of our review, we do not share the details of our process. Thanks for your understanding.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
financemark
Community Member

Clients are not receiving proper requests from UW --

Be careful sharing your client's professional contact information with UW.  Before UW sends your client a request, UW requires you to provide your client's LI profile (and perhaps other information that UW does not already possess).  Client contact information is very valuable --- be careful who you share it with, esp if you do not know how they will use it.

Better to request testimonials yourself --

developer_work
Community Member

Hello,

Recently I have got a new link "Request Testimonial". So, after putting all the details about client while I am going to click "Request Testimonial" button it is disabled all the time. Can you help me to provide any information regarding that?

Thanks & Regards

Parijat Roy

Hi Parijat,

Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with another browser to complete the process? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
chhutani-shweta
Community Member

Hi, i am new to Upwork.

I am a professional from past 5 years so I asked my clients to share their reviews working with me on Upwork. They have shared their reviews but its not being reflected on my profile page.

Im looking for help if someone could give me a suggestion about this. Will it take minimum hours to reflect on my profile?

Hi Sweta,

Thanks for reaching out about our new testimonial feature, which is currently being tested with select freelancers like you. While we are excited to share that the feature is proving to be very popular unfortunately we've received so many requests that it's taking us a while to review each one. As a result, please allow 10 business days for your request to be reviewed. We apologize for the delay, but please know we are still testing and optimizing this beta feature. Thanks!

~ Goran
Upwork
upworkmizan
Community Member

How to set up testimonial in my profile if i have no client previous or at now
ishita_l
Community Member

Is there a specific time delay by which Upwork posts the client testimonials or is it supposed to be done as soon as the client sends the testimonial. 

A old and good client of mine intimated me yesterday that he has written a testimonial for me as asked by Upwork and although I see that the 'Your testimonial request is awaiting X's response' notification has gone; there is no sign of the testimonial whatsoever. 

Could someone shed light on the matter? 
Thanks! 

Hi Lohani,

Thanks for reaching out about our new testimonial feature, which is currently being tested with select freelancers like you. While we are excited to share that the feature is proving to be very popular unfortunately we've received so many requests that it's taking us a while to review each one. As a result, please allow 10 business days for your request to be reviewed. We apologize for the delay, but please know we are still testing and optimizing this beta feature. Thanks!

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, I have an off-Upwork client who I have a testimonial from, but they do not have a LinkedIn profile and it looks like that's required. What can I do about it? I really want to be able to use this testimonial.

Thank you!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jenny, 

Unfortunately, at this time, your client will need to have a LinkedIn profile to be able to post a testimonial from them. 

If other options become available, we'll make sure to share it with the Community.

~ Avery
Upwork
arifariful38
Community Member

Hello!
I am new to upwork, so didn't have projects and testimonials written via upwork.
But can I add testimonials from people that I have worked with before to my profile?

Is it ok per rules?

Hi Ariful,

You're free to add testimonials from clients that you've worked outside of Upwork. We know many freelancers have worked with clients outside of Upwork and we want to give them an opportunity to showcase that on Upwork by getting testimonials from these clients. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
chazam856
Community Member

Hello There!

From the past two weeks now I'm seeing that Upwork has given me an opportunity to get an endorsement/testimonials from the client(s). So I'm if someone guide me about it because I'm feeling confused about how will I get Endorsement/testimonial because they are saying ''to get a testimonial from past clients'' and also saying ''to get a testimonial from non-Upwork clients''.

Then what will I do in here as they were saying in two different ways? Two images are attached for reference as they are showing confusion of mine. Please check them first and please someone guide me about it. And also for 2nd image. Thanks

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad, 

Thanks for reaching out about our new testimonial feature, which is currently being tested with select freelancers like you. We know many freelancers have worked with clients outside of Upwork and we want to give them an opportunity to showcase that on Upwork by getting testimonials from these clients.

In this case, you can add the LinkedIn information of the client you have worked with outside of Upwork, so that you can request for a testimonial from them. This will then be displayed on your Upwork profile.

~ Avery
Upwork
chazam856
Community Member

Hello Avery O,

Thank you so much for giving me a reply. Like you are saying about getting clients from outside of Upwork like from LinkedIn or from any other social sites, it is okay with it I do understand this for now. But my situation is different than I have not got any outsider client I've got clients only from Upwork site and they are already part of Upwork so my question is that Can I get endorsements/testimonials from my already Upwork clients?

Can they give me testimonials? Can I ask them and if they can do this then what should I do, what will be the process?

Thanks, waiting for an answer.

Muhammad A wrote:

I have not got any outsider client I've got clients only from Upwork site and they are already part of Upwork so my question is that Can I get endorsements/testimonials from my already Upwork clients?.

No. This is specifically for clients from outside of Upwork.

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your answer.

2993e619
Community Member

Avery,

Do non Upwork clients Imhave to have a Linkeden profile to provide a testimonial? None of mine do and I need to figure out how to get testimonials on my profile.

Erica
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Erica,

Yes, they need to have a LinkedIn profile to provide a testimonial.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
2993e619
Community Member

How do you suggest I add testimonials from clients who do not? Cut and paste? Is this ok?

Erica Stell
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Erica,

We've seen that some freelancers used their profile overview or portfolio section to include reviews and testimonials. You could do that, but make sure not to share any private or contact information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

How can I add a client testimonial from someone who is not active on LinkedIn? They are a small business, and are not present on LinkedIn.

And no, they're not an Upwork client.

Hi Sivakumaran,

Unfortunately, they will need to have a LinkedIn profile to provide a testimonial. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,

I have tried adding my non-Upwork client to get a testimonial but after entering all the information (including LinkedIn Profile), it still doesn't give me an option to press the "Request Testimonial" button. What could be the issue here?

Hi Pratik,

Are you trying to add a Linkedin URL from the company profile? If yes, please change it to reflect your client profile URL and try to click the button. If you`re still experiencing problems after this, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
f533f2e7
Community Member

My outside client has given me a testimonial, yet it did not reflect in my profile. It's showing waiting for confirmation for the testimonial. Could you please let me know why this is happening?

Hi Deerajkumar,

I checked and it seems that your client didn't follow up on the testimonial request yet. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi , Can i know if testimonials from past clients outside upwork increase job success score or no ?because i have many clients outside upwork 

Hi Mona,

Testimonials from past clients have no effect on your Job Success Score.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
krishkrish33
Community Member

I just received an email that my testimonial was denied due to not being able to verify enough contact information. Is there a way to add testimonials from people who aren't comfortable with putting their information on social media? My client is a small business owner who doesn't frequent LinkedIn or social media for her business directly and I do believe this might be playing a part in the rejection of the testimonial. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Hi Lakrisha, 

I'm sorry to know that your testimonial was denied. At this time, we can only support testimonials from clients who are on LinkedIn.

If there are other options in the future, we'll make sure to share it with the Community. 

Thank you!

~ Avery
Upwork

I have the same problem. Only 2 of my clients have a linked in profile so I am left without a host of reviews that I could otherwise display. This is the deciding factor in me NOT getting a paid Upwork account. I had planned to upgrade, but with this ridiculous requirement that reviews can only come from people with LI accounts, I have changed my mind. 

Hi Danelle,

We've seen that some freelancers used their profile overview or portfolio section to include reviews and testimonials. You could do that, but make sure not to share any private or contact information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
9f824c56
Community Member

Hello Upwork community! 

I just created my profile and requested testimonials from clients I had before joining Upwork. One of their testimonials was recently rejected due to this reason: "To ensure trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. Thank you for your understanding.

I'm not sure why this happened, as the client is a real person - though he did use a different email in his testimonial submission than I had used for him in requesting a testimonial. 

How can I rectify the problem? 

Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Melanie, we have tools and a system in place to review and check the validity of the testimonials. However, to better ensure the integrity of our review, we can't share the details of our process. Thanks for your understanding.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members