cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Titanic time tracker virus

Ace Contributor
Blake M Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
1 of 6

I have complained about this before, but my post seems to have been deleted. This was around the 1st of August. It looked like the new time tracker had downloaded a virus to my laptop. I went so far as to completely wipe out my hard drive and re-install windows 7 to get rid of it. This worked fine, as long as I wasn't using the time tracker app. Then, I turned it on, and, disaster, the virus was back. It looks like the time tracker either contains a virus, or it is designed to behave like one. Either way, the end result is the same. The app is an unrelenting CPU hog! While running, it keeps the CPU pegged at 100% most of the time. It now takes 5 to 10 times as long to do a given amount of work as it used to. All the time, the tracker is tracking in real-time, but making the entire machine unavailable about 80 to 90 percent of the time. Thus, work slows to a crawl. This results in the client being billed 5 to 10 times as much for a given amount of work as they were before this new tracker was rammed down our throats with no prior warning. That's why I now refer to it as the 'upwork Titanic time tracker virus'. This is a terrible way to have to work and is extremely unfair to the client! My professional recommendation would be to roll the app back to the way it was, before the latest release, when it was working perfectly, and then get the horrific problems fixed before re-releasing it. It has been almost two weeks since this catastrophe and we were promised it would soon be fixed. It has not. It needs to be taken care of, while there is still time. It may soon be too late.

Blake M.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 6

Hi, Blake.

I think removing the timing for the current session from TimeTracker was a bad move, but I have not experienced the CPU-hogging behavior you are seeing from the update.  

Ace Contributor
Blake M Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
3 of 6

Strange, it is a constant headache for me. It has been like this ever since the update on 7/31/2018. If you will examine my work diary, you will find many of the screen snapshots in which I have brought up the resource monitor, of the windows task manager, while I was waiting to regain control of the machine. It clearly shows the CPU usage Pegged at 100% most of the time. I have also switched the monitor to show the processes and it is one of 3 upwork.exe tasks that always has a high (89 - 98%) CPU usage. This nightmare has been going on for more than 2 weeks and my client is not happy about it.

Blake M.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 6

Hi Blake, 

Before I proceed, I wanted to check if you are running the Upwork Desktop App in a virtual machine? 

-Avery
Untitled
Andrea S Member Since: May 31, 2019
5 of 6
I agree. My computer was infected with an virus as soon as I downloaded the app. On top of that my CPU is always at 80-100% use causing me to take longer when working on task. On top of that my virus protector will always ping upwork.exe or when I try and update it I get a warning. I’ve contacted HP Support and I was advised to remove the app and never install again. I Now have to take my PC to geek squad to get them to fix my computer. This is such a headache!!!!
Community Guru
Riri A Member Since: Jul 21, 2018
6 of 6

Hi Blake and Andrea,

Thank you for letting us look into this, we're sorry to learn this has been an inconvenience. We have escalated your concern to the appropriate team. Our representatives will reach out to you shortly. Let us know if you need anything else

~ Riri
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS