Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork: a Modern "Court of Miracles"?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
11 of 19

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I am completely sympathetic to how huge a task it would be to eliminate all the plagiarized profiles here.  There are so many of them.

On the other, I do NOT understand why profiles that have been outed here in the forums are still up.  A few days ago, a poster said she couldn't apply for jobs. A few forum regulars pointed out that her entire profile was plagiarized, to inclue the quote that "all my work is 100%" plagiarism free!".  I went back and that profile is still up. Can she apply for jobs?  Who knows, but the profile shouldn't even be visible as far as I'm concerned.

My profile picture was flagged for being too blurry and my profile was hidden for at least three days....

Highlighted
Community Leader
Loredana B Member Since: Feb 26, 2016
12 of 19

For tests - one thing they could do is work on 50-100 tests for each category, at least for the "general" ones like the English Basic and English Spelling, and randomize the questions out of those 50-100 tests for each freelancer. So they would basically have 200-400 questions that would randomize.

Let's say I take the Basic English Test and I am planning to cheat. I will have absolutely no idea which one of the 400 questions tests will be the one appearing next on my screen. But let's say I'm prepared and I have a website or some prints with the answers for each question. By the time I try to find the right answer and try to fill in the answers, I will fail to enter it.

But when the test is THE SAME for god knows how long and you can re-take THE SAME test with THE SAME questions every month... That's not going to work. That's not how it works.

Absolutely NO institution in the world doesn't make you take the same test when you fail one. You do have new questions, right? Then why are they the same on Upwork?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
13 of 19

For tests. Concerning the "enterence Upwork test" that consists of just 10 extremely easy questions.- there was a contractor who posted on here, not too long ago, that his account was suspended (or something to that effect) because it took him 2 minutes to finish the test and Upwork had a "required" time limit of 3 minutes or more to complete it.

Yet there are contractors here who have taken the 40 questions Word test in 3 minutes and the Excel test in 2 minutes and achieve top 10 or 5% score. Heck, I'm a professional and I wouldn't even be able to read all 40 questions in just 2 minutes.

Why doesn't Upwork have minimum time requirements for these tests and if they do, why aren't contractors being investaged when they complete tests in under 5 minutes?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 19

There are cheat sheets everywhere on the Internet. Upwork (or whoever sets the tests) should make a point of changing at least some of the questions - on all the language tests anyway (particularly English), every month.

It is amazing, for example, how many Russian translators there are with perfect Russian>English/English>Russian test results, sometimes, in less than 3 minutes.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
15 of 19

Apologies in advance for sounding like the ominous voice of doom ... but -

- These problems existed on eLance where the provider reporting rate was considerably higher simply because it was easy to do and to keep track of so we could follow up. This is not the case on Upwork.

- Superficial user numbers on both sides of the equation are higher on Upwork than on eLance but staff size has not grown.

- Technical problems are far more numerous and of much greater severity on Upwork than they were on eLance (and there were many on E as well) so management priorities are on keeping this site alive and functioning (somewhat).

Where does this leave the issues raised? Cetainly not at the top of the To-Do list.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 19

In the old days, the oDesk test did actually require that you study the ins and outs of the site - which were quite lengthy - and there were also videos . But also, in the good old oDesk days, the ToS stated very clearly that it was the client who shouldered the ten percent . . . so that was then . . . 

These days, the ToS are minimal and ambiguous at best. Other rules and regs are traditional and it appears to be a 'défi pour la recherche' to know what these are. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
17 of 19

Exactly, Nichola.  While I can't speak for oD there was a time when eLance required a test (easy as it was) to at least indicate providers knew what ToS meant and addressed.  When management did away with the test profile theft and other less than professional behavior increased.

There is much that can be said in favor of requiring people to have a modicum of understanding of a platform and their responsibilities, obligations and rights. It goes without saying that transparency was far less a concern ....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 19

I don't know about images and other types of samples, but some content sites force all uploads through Copyscape as part of the process. I can't think of any reason Upwork couldn't implement something like that for samples.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
19 of 19

@Tiffany S wrote:

I don't know about images and other types of samples, but some content sites force all uploads through Copyscape as part of the process. I can't think of any reason Upwork couldn't implement something like that for samples.

...or profiles. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS