cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork accidentally reversed payment back to client....

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
1 of 17

.... and I can't get this issue resolved through customer support in a timely manner.  So... here I am.

I accepted a job from a new client where the service fee should be 10% for the new client promotion. But when I accepted it, it was 20%.  I went to support and they told me they adjusted it to 10% for me. But once you accept a job there is literally NO PLACE ANYWHERE to check and see what the service fee is on that job. So I couldn't verify they fixed it and had to wait until the job was paid out.

So.. I did the job, the client paid it out and there was STILL a 20% service fee attached to it. So, customer support did NOT fix it.  I go back there and told them that the fee was still 20% and asked them to fix it and ... instead of doing that.... they REVERSED the full payment of the milestone back to the client.  

I go BACK to support ... this was a couple days ago.. and they tell me they are trying to get a hold of the client to get him to initiate a bonus payment to me. But.. the client came back in the middle of it all, after he was supposedly contacted by Upwork, (it usually takes him a LONG time to respond) and paid out the 2nd milestone and closed the contract. But.. no bonus payment. So I am thinking he isn't going to pay it... as nice as he was.. I think he thinks he just got away without paying.... 

Early this morning, I called customer support and they said they would call the client.. try to get him to pay the bonus payment but COULD NOT PROMISE THEY WOULD PAY ME FOR THIS JOB IF HE DID NOT INITIATE A BONUS PAYMENT.  She said she had to get a lot of approvals for that and CANNOT promise it. And I was supposed to hear back a few hours later and I have not.

WHAT?  He approved payment to me and Upwork accidentally reversed it and so.. I may be out of luck on getting paid for that job? 

SERIOUSLY???   

Please. Be serious now. This payment would have been avaialbe for me to withdraw TODAY.   I would like full payment for the job AND I would like for it to be attached TO THE CONTRACT so it doesn't look like I do work for super cheap. Right now, my profile page is only showing payment for $50 on a $350 job.  I get enough clients asking me to do work for $50... I need that contract to reflect the accurate price.

tgano
Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
2 of 17

WOW!!! That is beyond UNACCPETABLE!

Mods???? I hope one of you will step in and help fix this...this kind of utter incompetence coming from support should NOT be tolerated!

Unfortunately, incompeteance at the support level is all to common for us.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 17

Jessica,

I checked and the team has already fixed the issue. The money is already on your Upwork balance and you should see the transaction titled as "Bonus" in your Transaction History.

Sorry about the confusion.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jessicasimko
Community Guru
4 of 17

@Valeria K wrote:

Jessica,

I checked and the team has already fixed the issue. The money is already on your Upwork balance and you should see the transaction titled as "Bonus" in your Transaction History.

Sorry about the confusion.

That wasn't there when I started writing the post here so thank you for fixing that for me ...if you did. Is there any way that job, on my profile, can reflect the full price of the job?  I have enough problems with people trying to get work for cheap, I really don't want that job on there showing for $50. 

tgano
Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
5 of 17

Glad that got resolved so quickly!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
6 of 17

Jessica,

It usually takes some time for the full amount paid to show in the Work History. Please, allow a couple of days for your profile to update and the amount to reflect. I'll also keep an eye on it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jessicasimko
Community Guru
7 of 17

Ahh. .it IS attached to the contract. I see this now. Excellent. Thanks so much!  Do you know if the client paid this as a bonus or if Upwork paid this? I have held my review of him partly for this reason...

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 17

Jessica S wrote:

Ahh. .it IS attached to the contract. I see this now. Excellent. Thanks so much!  Do you know if the client paid this as a bonus or if Upwork paid this? I have held my review of him partly for this reason...

Upwork never pays us, the clients do.

jessicasimko
Community Guru
9 of 17

@Virginia F wrote:

@Jessica S wrote:

Upwork never pays us, the clients do.

In this particular case, Upwork said they would "try" to pay it if the client didn't because it was their error that they reversed it.  But they said they couldn't promise it and I was waiting to hear so I am wondering how it got paid. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
10 of 17

Jessica,

The amount was paid by the client.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS