cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork accidentally reversed payment back to client....

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 17

@Virginia F wrote:

@Jessica S wrote:

Ahh. .it IS attached to the contract. I see this now. Excellent. Thanks so much!  Do you know if the client paid this as a bonus or if Upwork paid this? I have held my review of him partly for this reason...

Upwork never pays us, the clients do.

Upwork pays people who qualify for hourly payment protection when clients don't.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
12 of 17

And one would hope that Upwork would pay a freelancer if Upwork accidentally "unpaid" them. 

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 17

This post is disconcerting...on two levels.

Firstly, that Upwork would go and reverse a payment just like that in the first place...

SECONDLY....that they would take 20% instead of 10% from a new client in the first place...WHICH makes me wonder...how many times, and to how many freelancers...are they not taking the adjusted rate but the full rate??? You trust them to do the right thing...and do not check...does this mean you need to go and check and keep tabs on EVERY contract with someone new?

P.S. I do not hold myself accountable for any errors of any sort in any post of mine so early in the morning...before at least my third cup of coffee...

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 17

I think (just going by what I can see on Jessica's profile) what may have happened here is that the client posted a job, and had he hired Jessica from that job posting the 10% would have been automatically applied.

Instead (or at least that's what it looks like to me) the client then hired Jessica NOT from the job post, but as a direct offer which technically created a second job post, which the system (technically correctly) no longer counted as the first job posted, and therefore the 20% was (again technically correctly) applied.

The reversal appears to have been a human error.  Those happen. To everyone, right?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 17

@Petra R wrote:

The reversal appears to have been a human error.  Those happen. To everyone, right?

Of course.

The problem arises when the human who made the error (or his/her employer) says, "We made a mistake, and we may or may not choose to fix it."

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
16 of 17

@Petra R wrote:

I think (just going by what I can see on Jessica's profile) what may have happened here is that the client posted a job, and had he hired Jessica from that job posting the 10% would have been automatically applied.

Instead (or at least that's what it looks like to me) the client then hired Jessica NOT from the job post, but as a direct offer which technically created a second job post, which the system (technically correctly) no longer counted as the first job posted, and therefore the 20% was (again technically correctly) applied.

The client did a search and just hired me off my profile. No job was posted. I went to support to get a link to an older job so I could see his past history and they told me he was new and qualified for the special promotion. 

There are SEVERAL jobs like this... mostly jobs I get invited to, when the client is clearly new and the fee is not adjusted. I had one other adjusted already (maybe....we'll find out when it pays out) and several I applied to you can see the client joined like...that day...yet the fee wasn't adjusted.  I almost think it only seems to adjust for hourly jobs but not fixed rate jobs. Something is definitely wrong with the promotion this time around.

Mistakes happen, but I wouldn't have even posted it here if the lady on the phone didn't say "I can't promise you we can pay this. There are so many levels of approval for this. We'll try to call him and get him to pay a bonus payment". 

How can you not pay when you mistakenly reversed it? The client was very slow in responding, throughout the job, that I didn't have much faith he'd come through.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 17
I'm glad to see upwork did the right thing. Glad you got your money Jessica.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS